May 5, 2021
Hi

I bought a Netis router DL4323U the setup and everything is fine. When I connect to the router using my laptop I get the IP address 185.38.111.3 which is located in Czech and my ISP is: Gransy s.r.o. (That is not my country or my ISP) when I go to google it says I am located in Egypt and when I do a search in google it says there is unusual traffic coming from my ip address and I have to enter a Capture. Its only my Laptop that has this problem, any other devices that connect to the network are fine, they IPs are fine and the correct ISP is show when using whatsmyip. I was thinking that maybe the router was compromised. I went and bought brand new router which is the same model Netis router DL4323U (its the only router the computer shop had in stock) unfortunately it didn't change anything.

The problem persists even with the new router. If I connect my laptop to another network and a different type of router( D - LINK) everything is fine, my Ip address and my ISP are correct. Its only when I connect to the (new router and old router) Netis that my IP changes to 185.38.111.3. Other devices are fine connecting to the netis without any problems. I formatted my laptop completely twice and the problem still persists. I have reset the router multiple times.

I did a google search for the IP 185.38.111.3 there was one reddit forum where it happened to two other people but sadly the issue was not resolved.

I would appreciate it very much if anyone knows how can get a new IP address from my Netis router for just for my laptop or if anyone knows how to fix this problem. I did call my ISP multiple times and they said they cant do anything about the problem.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Hi Everyone I fixed the issue finally, I appreciate everyone's input and help. I fixed the issue by going to Windows 10 network and internet settings > Proxy " automatically detect settings" switch was ON and I turned it off, now everything is fine and working like normal. It must have turned on after the windows update because that is when everything started acting strange. Hope this thread can help others that face this problem :) Thanks again :)
So what IP is being assigned to the wan port of your router.

What you say is happening is almost impossible. You ISP can not assign you IP they do not own and the routing in the internet will not work even if you could somehow get it assigned to your router.

The only way to get a different IP is to use a VPN.

By using a different router and reinstalling your PC you have eliminated most forms of VPN.

You might get a clue where it is installed by running tracert and comparing that to devices that work properly.

May 5, 2021
Thank you for the replies, I have never used a VPN or tried to set up a VPN before. When I check the setting on the router for the WAN section its all blanked out and cant be edited, the fields are all blank. The only way to edit the fields is to change the connection from the Channel Mode drop down menu to DHCP (static IP). The connection I used is PPPoE, I have the VCI number VPI number, username and my password for my ISP.

On the PPPoE LLC fields I have an IP address which is different from 185.38.111.3 , ISP Gateway IP and subnet mask.

Tracert should still give you a clue. Now it might be a setting the the browser if it is only web traffic, then tracert would be fine but not the web traffic.

Run tracert on a device that is not impacted to see what the trace should look like.

What you should see is the lan ip of your router as hop 1. It should show the IP you see in your wan router as the gateway as the IP you see in hop 2.

A VPN on your pc you would not see your router IP. A vpn on the router you would see the IP of the router but not the IP of ISP gateway in hop 2.

It is most likely software on your PC but since you have reinstalled I can't see how something could still be there.

May 5, 2021
Thank you appreciate it, I did the tracert, The hop 1 shows the IP address I use to setup the router, the generic 192.168.1.1 hop 2 shows * * * request timed out. There are 8 Hops, From Hop 3 to Hop 8 non of the IP addresses match the IP on the router, or ISP gateway. I really appreciate you guys trying to help. Hop 8 is the address for google, I used google.com for the tracert. I just realized I need to do the tracert with a different device, Ill use another device then update.

Last edited:
It depends on why hop 2 times out. If it does it the same on a different device then it is ok.
If the vpn exists it must be on your router.

If it is not this is must be a browser issue. Sites like whatsmyip are pretty simple, they just report on the ip they are getting the traffic from,

May 5, 2021
Last edited:
May 5, 2021
Hi Everyone I fixed the issue finally, I appreciate everyone's input and help. I fixed the issue by going to Windows 10 network and internet settings > Proxy " automatically detect settings" switch was ON and I turned it off, now everything is fine and working like normal. It must have turned on after the windows update because that is when everything started acting strange. Hope this thread can help others that face this problem :) Thanks again :)

Solution