[SOLVED] False RAM fault?

Jul 18, 2021
I was getting BSOD's every second day or so which were variable and not linked to any particular driver. I wondered if there might be around fault. Memtest86 found no fault after four passes. I thought I would try in windows. MemTest64 repeatedly failed to grab enough memory. MemTest for Windows eventually found five errors which were closely grouped together arriving instantaneously in one window. However, this took quite a while and eventually I tried RAM Test (Karhu) which found three errors in about 10 minutes.

I decided to proceed using RAM test one stick at a time (4×4 GB) with Windows configured using system configuration to start in diagnostic start-up mode and with the various start-up programs mostly disabled using autoruns.

With this configuration, each of the RAM sticks passed testing to 1600%. I then set them up in pairs in the slots in which they were to eventually be relocated and each of these pairs passed testing to 1600%. I then put all four sticks back in and ran it overnight to about 10,000% with no errors.

I then put the configuration back to normal, i.e. system configuration set to normal start-up and all the usual start-up programs set to start. With this configuration, a single error appeared in about 10 minutes. Disabling the non-Microsoft services and add-on programs did not make a difference to this, the same single error appeared.

The extensive testing first of all single sticks, then pairs and then the whole lot overnight suggests that there is no hardware RAM fault. If that is true, where are these occasional faults coming from? Has anyone else seen this kind of behaviour before?

Solution
Regardless how you got them your RAM failed and you should RMA the full kit.
Memtest86 I consider the best RAM tester so run again overnight.
Are we talking about a single kit here?