False "you must fornat this drive" messages

G

I am regularly getting messages telling me that I must format a drive before using it.

These happen on USB stcks, commercial bluray movies, DVD's and bluray discs I've written to and closed myself
and also on USB hard drives.

All items work perfectly on a win98 system and even on the machine the following day (presumably a restart cures it)
Replacing say - the DVD - with another will then read fine.

The system is kept secure and has daily virus scans. No extra software is running that should cause this
sort of issue that I know of (I am not a novice)

I have seen reports that this also happens with Win7 but my own win7 machines have never done this.

Does anyone actually know what may be causing this and/or how to cure it?

Thanks

jbrenan

I am regularly getting messages telling me that I must format a drive before using it.

These happen on USB stcks, commercial bluray movies, DVD's and bluray discs I've written to and closed myself
and also on USB hard drives.

All items work perfectly on a win98 system and even on the machine the following day (presumably a restart cures it)
Replacing say - the DVD - with another will then read fine.

The system is kept secure and has daily virus scans. No extra software is running that should cause this
sort of issue that I know of (I am not a novice)

I have seen reports that this also happens with Win7 but my own win7 machines have never done this.

Does anyone actually know what may be causing this and/or how to cure it?

Thanks

jbrenan
You will receive this message if the media is encrypted. Using anything like True Crypt , Disk Crypt, or is it otherwise encrypted ?

G

No nothing (appart from the Blurays) is encrypted.
My own media is never encrypted.

G

I am still experiencing this.
Rebooting (hard) vista removes the problem I've discovered - sometimes for days and then previously
"failed" media works fine. Days later other media gets the problem
As a reminder this is NOT caused by media encryption. My own DV's etc suffer as well
as commercial stuff.
Returning vista to a backup has not cured it.
Googling this probles shown many others with the same or similar issue.
help!

PS. sorry about name changes - I still cant get Toms to register me correctly.

jbrenan

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
I've since discovered that putting a small file (anything at all) in the "to be burnt"
folder cures this issue entirely.

This is obviously a bug in windows.