Question Famous and dreaded nvlddmkm sys blue screen of death

helssing05

Commendable
Jul 13, 2021
Yep. It's been discussed and there are multiple questions along the internet regarding that problem, but I've never quite managed to solve it and it's so specific I can't shake the feeling it's something fixable (instead of my graphics card being in its deathbed, which I obviously don't want to accept so easily).
I've never actually asked for help regarding that specific problem, thinking someone else's question would solve; alas, here I am.
The crash has latest occurred, which led me to this post, when finishing the loading screen of the game Divinity 2, by Larian Studios.
https://www.mediafire.com/file/elcypdi7wpyzx47/DxDiag.txt/file - DXDIAG
https://www.mediafire.com/file/4xd46k9a62n3s2m/060624-9265-01.dmp/file - One Minidump
https://www.mediafire.com/file/6gyiqdz7rk68ovh/060624-31843-01.dmp/file - Slightly older minidump
Thanks in advance.

edit: forgot to mention that I have tryied to use DDU two times, using the safe boot thingy and all that. Also I always keep my driver up to date and it has been happening for quite a while.

Lutfij

Titan
forgot to mention that I have tryied to use DDU two times,
Using DDU in Safe Mode+removing all GPU drivers(Intel, AMD and Nvidia), manually reinstalling with the latest driver in an elevated command?

Also I always keep my driver up to date
Using a third party app? If so, perhaps your chipset drivers might be off. Where did you source the installer for your OS?

Have you disassembled the laptop to clean the innards? If so, did you replace the thermal paste? Have you attempted undervolting your laptop's CPU core/cache and iGPU and the discrete GPU?

Reactions: helssing05

David_652

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2017
Yep. It's been discussed and there are multiple questions along the internet regarding that problem, but I've never quite managed to solve it and it's so specific I can't shake the feeling it's something fixable (instead of my graphics card being in its deathbed, which I obviously don't want to accept so easily).
I've never actually asked for help regarding that specific problem, thinking someone else's question would solve; alas, here I am.
The crash has latest occurred, which led me to this post, when finishing the loading screen of the game Divinity 2, by Larian Studios.
https://www.mediafire.com/file/elcypdi7wpyzx47/DxDiag.txt/file - DXDIAG
https://www.mediafire.com/file/4xd46k9a62n3s2m/060624-9265-01.dmp/file - One Minidump
https://www.mediafire.com/file/6gyiqdz7rk68ovh/060624-31843-01.dmp/file - Slightly older minidump
Thanks in advance.

edit: forgot to mention that I have tryied to use DDU two times, using the safe boot thingy and all that. Also I always keep my driver up to date and it has been happening for quite a while.
Get with a gamer friend with a comparable system. Install your graphics card in their known-good system and see whether the issue repeats. Try their known-good card in your system and see whether the issue repeats. You can isolate whether your PC or your card is at issue.

Have you tried reverting to DirectX 11?

Is it possible that a PC meeting the minimum requirements to run the card is insufficient?

Do you hear any beep codes during system boot? How many?

Does your system meet more than the minimum requirements to play the games you play?

Have you tried going into the nvlddmkm.sys driver file settings and granting full control to the user?

Have you tried the system file checker and DSIM?

Do you see any compatibility mode settings you can adjust?

Are you overclocking? Can you revert to the previous settings?

Have you tried stress-testing the GPU?

Have you tried turning off all ray tracing in the settings?

Have you considered potential software conflicts with the nvlddmkm.sys file? Did you install specific software around the time this started?

Have you tried adjusting the Nvidia Control Panel power management settings to Prefer maximum performance?

Turn the PC off. Pull the power cord out. Press and hold the power button for more than 10 seconds. Reseat the graphics card. Plug in the cord and start the machine.

An IRQ conflict may play a role in the proper function of the card.

Did a Windows update perhaps conflict with the card driver?

Reactions: helssing05

helssing05

Commendable
Jul 13, 2021
I wanna thank you both for the thorough and quite quick replies, I feel deeply supported :3.
As soon as I posted this I went to the notebook manufacturer's website (Asus) to search for drivers and after seeing it displaying both VGA and Graphics Card Drivers as separate things I felt like downloading the VGA driver, just to see what would happen in case it somehow got corrupted or idk after a friend moved the OS from my HDD to my SSD.
Welp, when installing it it seemed like the same old graphics driver I usually install from Nvidias website for my gtx 1050 (the ol' rascal still handles most modern games quite nice, really decent graphics), and it seemed I was rolling back from the current version to a much older. I installed nevertheless. After install it accused the current PhysX version and Geforce Experience version as being newer so supposedly nothing happened (I installed the experience thing just to see for myself if I can get anything positive out of it, after seeing a lot of people complaining). The driver itself, strangely as it is an older version, got installed (as if something was not right).
I have been able to play smoothly and without any more blue screens even after "forcing" some heavy scenearios in which I have a game on (Divinity 2 again for the experiment) alt tabbing between 3 or 4 applications while one of them is a browser filled with tabs.
So far it has been successfull, but I dont wanna count victory yet.

helssing05

Commendable
Jul 13, 2021
forgot to mention that I have tryied to use DDU two times,
Using DDU in Safe Mode+removing all GPU drivers(Intel, AMD and Nvidia), manually reinstalling with the latest driver in an elevated command?

Also I always keep my driver up to date
Using a third party app? If so, perhaps your chipset drivers might be off. Where did you source the installer for your OS?

Have you disassembled the laptop to clean the innards? If so, did you replace the thermal paste? Have you attempted undervolting your laptop's CPU core/cache and iGPU and the discrete GPU?
Yes to the elevated command inquiry
I download them from nVidia's website
Yep, periodically as my room gets a lot of hairy business I do clean it thoroughly, replaced the paste once, dont really remember if I checked it last time I cleaned. The temps never get too high though. I'll use HWMonitor to check on them. I have never attempted anything regarding voltages and idk what iGpu or discrete GPU means, will check on those if my laptop fails again (which I hope it doesnt, after my last message regarding a possible fix

helssing05

Commendable
Jul 13, 2021
Get with a gamer friend with a comparable system. Install your graphics card in their known-good system and see whether the issue repeats. Try their known-good card in your system and see whether the issue repeats. You can isolate whether your PC or your card is at issue.

Have you tried reverting to DirectX 11?

Is it possible that a PC meeting the minimum requirements to run the card is insufficient?

Do you hear any beep codes during system boot? How many?

Does your system meet more than the minimum requirements to play the games you play?

Have you tried going into the nvlddmkm.sys driver file settings and granting full control to the user?

Have you tried the system file checker and DSIM?

Do you see any compatibility mode settings you can adjust?

Are you overclocking? Can you revert to the previous settings?

Have you tried stress-testing the GPU?

Have you tried turning off all ray tracing in the settings?

Have you considered potential software conflicts with the nvlddmkm.sys file? Did you install specific software around the time this started?

Have you tried adjusting the Nvidia Control Panel power management settings to Prefer maximum performance?

Turn the PC off. Pull the power cord out. Press and hold the power button for more than 10 seconds. Reseat the graphics card. Plug in the cord and start the machine.

An IRQ conflict may play a role in the proper function of the card.

Did a Windows update perhaps conflict with the card driver?
I really like the amount of possible paths to follow, albeit I'll answer and follow none for now as I may have fixed it in quite an easy way. Thank you for your help, if my laptop fails again I'll follow your questions.