Fan boys (and girls)

Cunninglinguist

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
Can someone please explain to me why these people exist?

What motivates a person to vehemently defend a particular brand of component :?:

I, of course, have my hardware presences now. But, in two years, they may very well change. It depends on what I perceive to be the best value, performance, upgradeability, etc.

If someone asked me today, “AMD or P4?”
I’d, probably say, “AMD.”

But, if I were tending a bar, and someone said, “What should I drink?”
I would say, “What do you like?”
The choices are abundant, and mostly equal at achieving the same goal. It comes down to a matter of preference.
I wouldn’t say, “Budweiser beer. It has a 6% higher alcohol to price ratio than half of the leading competition in 45% of lab tests. Budweiser is the only way to go. You, sir, need a Bud.”

Perhaps this is a bad example, but I just don’t understand why people insist on touting their preference as the end all be all of solutions. Why is there an emotional attachment to a GPU manufacturer?

If you are so sure about your brand, GO BUY THEIR STOCK :!:

Then again, this is all coming from a guy who doesn’t have a favorite sports team.

lost

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2004
OK i'll bite.

AMD and Intel make GPU?

Please note how AMD is underscored but intel is'nt

Please note that this changed after I wrote the above

Now i'ts back to amd only

people like that exist cause of the way they were taught, through experience and other various reasons.

But, if I were tending a bar, and someone said, “What should I drink?”
I would say, “What do you like?”
The choices are abundant, and mostly equal at achieving the same goal. It comes down to a matter of preference.
I wouldn’t say, “Budweiser beer. It has a 6% higher alcohol to price ratio than half of the leading competition in 45% of lab tests. Budweiser is the only way to go. You, sir, need a Bud.”

If you had a paticular beer and it tasted like $#!+ and made you throw up after it would you touch the stuff again? NO, and with computers and hardware things have issues and everything cant be hand tested so components have issues, for example if you owned an AMD system and the system was unstable due to crappy VIA chipsets (not AMD's fault) would you buy another one after a bad experience? Some people wont, and instead go (for example) to Intel and cause that current Intel system serves them well they stick to Intel products and give AMD a bad name (this is all an example, works with hdds and all other products etc).

Me for example, I hate MSI products - every single one of there products died on me or didnt work properly after a few months - anything from CD drives, to video cards, to there dodgy motherboards.

Other people sware by MSI and believe there products are great, and to me - i dont really care - its just my bad luck (and my experiences lead me to not touch there products again cause i dont trust em), but some people are Fanboys and if i said somethin bad against what they sware by (for example MSI) then they would have a go at me cause of my hate for there products.

A typical fanboy sticks by what they buy reguardless of how crap it is cause they bought it they think its the greatest and whatever else, Intel fanboys are numerous and bad, but i find there are more worse AMD fanboys that think AMD is the greatest when in reality if it wasnt for Intel wouldnt exist (examples are Intel's numerous new standards - intel makes most of em, a good example is when intel intro'd the 4 pin aux power plug - AMD was having stability issues at 1400 until they used it).

The last type of fanboy is the type who was taught something stupid (a typical one is being taught that Intel is reliable and AMDs arnt) - my dad wont touch an AMD cause he thinks there too hot and unreliable. If it was an older Athlon XP with a cheap VIA board id partly agree - VIA boards have issues, and cooling sometimes is an issue, BUT currently Intel's Prescotts arnt any better - there sometimes twice as hot as matching A64 models, and i think the A64 systems would last longer then prescott systems now because of less system stress (lower temps, lower power load etc).

Hope that sheds some light on your question.

lost

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2004
Fellas!

You have both missed the boat.

They are getting rich and fat while you chase the latest and greatest.

The only difference between the two is their market share and hype.

Enjoy making them both rich and fat!

lost

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2004
Hi

Have a good look through the topics on this forum and you'll see who's getting banged for their buck! :D

Vile

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2004
I agree, it's normal for anyone to be 'loyal' to a brand once he has succesfully compared it to many other options, sadly, as you said, someone can get a brand new A64 processor and have a somewhat sh*tty VIA motherboard and blame the low performance on the processor. What happens next? Next comps he buys will have an Intel processor, he might be lucky enough to get his comp to work right and then what is he gonna tell his friend who's just about to build his first computer? "I had a AMD processor and the thing was so damn slow man! don't even think about getting an AMD, go straight for Intel" And so fanboys are created. Yet there are some people who have actually tested different gfx card makers, for example, and they know which are better OCers, which get hotter and which run more stable. After all, it's all about personal experience what makes you decide which product to get.

lost

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2004
I agree, it's normal for anyone to be 'loyal' to a brand once he has succesfully compared it to many other options, sadly, as you said, someone can get a brand new A64 processor and have a somewhat sh*tty VIA motherboard and blame the low performance on the processor. What happens next? Next comps he buys will have an Intel processor, he might be lucky enough to get his comp to work right and then what is he gonna tell his friend who's just about to build his first computer? "I had a AMD processor and the thing was so damn slow man! don't even think about getting an AMD, go straight for Intel" And so fanboys are created. Yet there are some people who have actually tested different gfx card makers, for example, and they know which are better OCers, which get hotter and which run more stable. After all, it's all about personal experience what makes you decide which product to get.

So what if you succesfully compared all the options. Did you really?

So lets say you buy a hypothetical CPU called DMA on specs and put it in a mobo with X brand chipsets. Oh sorry there not compatible. The reveiws raved about how good they are.

Lets spend time on a forum telling ourselves how good the DMA cpu is, even though it doesn't work together.

On the other hand Intel CPU work together with Intel chipset.

Forgot the most important option - does it work together.

I know that I build for pleasure and to have a working system to use. Some people like to build and then spend time trying to work out why it doesn't work like the reveiws said.

I don't think they are fanboys but SMARTBOYS.

Vile

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2004
So lets say you buy a hypothetical CPU called DMA on specs and put it in a mobo with X brand chipsets. Oh sorry there not compatible. The reveiws raved about how good they are.
Lets spend time on a forum telling ourselves how good the DMA cpu is, even though it doesn't work together.

Ok, whoever does that is just plain stupid, plus you shouldn't trust everything you read on reviews or stuff on the internet, you should find a way to make sure every piece works together with the rest. I've build a few systems and had no problems with them, even tho I really don't know much about computers compared to most of the people posting in this forums, I've never had a problem with them.

On the other hand Intel CPU work together with Intel chipset.

Forgot the most important option - does it work together.

Are you b*tchin at AMD because they don't make their own motherboards?

Maybe I misuderstood what you said...

lost

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2004
Ok, whoever does that is just plain stupid, plus you shouldn't trust everything you read on reviews or stuff on the internet, you should find a way to make sure every piece works together with the rest.

My point is information is always going to be hyped up by manufacturers so as to sell their products.

Whats the point of having THG then if you can't trust them?.

How do you propose that you would find a way which would be more reliable than hardware reveiw sites. The back of the products packaging perhaps or manufacturers specs.

Then after all that, we could use trial and error and spend lots of hard earnerd money giving someone a small market share till we found the right combination to put ONE system together

Are you b*tchin at AMD because they don't make their own motherboards?

Maybe I misuderstood what you said...
You are right. I use Intel because less of my hard earned money and time goes into discovering the hard way what works and more into the time enjoying what I set out to do!

There is the other minor matter that the rest of the world
manufactures for the components which they perceive is going to make them rich and fat, the biggest return on their investment. Small market shares rarely do that!

People don't invest to make small amounts of return after all!

Hence the compatability issues.

It would appear that Intel is the only one that approaches anything like 100% ability to intergrate with the least chances of problems.

It would be nice to have a viable alternative.

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Can someone please explain to me why these people exist?

What motivates a person to vehemently defend a particular brand of component :?:

You dealing with a social pattern designed by society but also by nature (similar to flocking pattern of birds). In other words people naturally align themselves in groups, form religious groups, language groups, races etc.. When emotions or feelings are used more then rational thought then you see the irrational type reasoning displayed from a fanboy. Blind to there own behavior towards others defending something as if it was sacred regardless of the evidence otherwise. Normal people behavior and patterns will make Fanboys or religious addicts of even cpu chips :lol:. So in essence it is in all of us to be fanboys.

Vile

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2004
Alright, so maybe you have a point on the Intel mobo thingy and compatibility issues AMD can have with motherboards. But still, if you choose your hardware correctly and ask for advice it's rather hard to get it wrong.
I think we went off topic :p

lost

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2004
You dealing with a social pattern designed by society but also by nature (similar to flocking pattern of birds). In other words people naturally align themselves in groups, form religious groups, language groups, races etc.. When emotions or feelings are used more then rational thought then you see the irrational type reasoning displayed from a fanboy. Blind to there own behavior towards others defending something as if it was sacred regardless of the evidence otherwise. Normal people behavior and patterns will make Fanboys or religious addicts of even cpu chips Laughing. So in essence it is in all of us to be fanboys.

So thats why people choose AMD. They feel all warm inside protecting the weak!

We are after all discussing human likes and choice about an inanimate object produced by man to perform a certain function.

Choosing an object that is most likely to perform its function from the onset and without any further unnecessary intervention is not some form of cult following but plain common sense. I'm proud to say I am a fan of Intel. Not because I wish to follow them but simply because I got what I wanted and payed for.

Simply if you bought an AMD you don't wish to admit the results of your choice. Consequently the drum is beaten about small minor pluses, gaming which is not everything, and forgeting the other 99% of minuses which is then conveniently transformed and clothed into terms of heat namely Preshot a small minus.

The need to invent a much larger problem than actually exists to clothe ones poor choice points to a much deeper pshycological problem than being a fan of this or that.

aceprowler

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2006
OK they are getting rich BUT, nowadays we need technology in our daily lives, so there will be people who get rich, and fanboys just like things or companies just for no reason, see, we should say it like it is, Company X is better than Company Y, because X make better products, because it has been proven (through whatever methods), you should buy things that fit your needs, and that will give you best-bang-for-buck

Well put!

I buy whoever is the best at the time, like what I have now. I still have a AMD Barton 2800. Why, because I bought a 2.4intel H/T too. At the same time, I bought a 9800pro, and a 5900xt. Well, now I use a 9700pro + 1gig dual DDR. 80gig & 20 gig Raid HD's.

This was the system that gave me the best look, and speed of course. I will be doing the same next month, except going after Intel product. Dual Core, 64bit, have me sold. But the Video cards are still up in the air.

But yes, I would like to get this out in the air some more too. Why is it that people won't ever change?

I guess this is a question that would never EVER answer itself. No matter how bad one is, a person is still not knowledgable enough to bend toward the other brand name.

Hey, if a new brand that came out Called the Cleveland Browns, and kicked everyones butts in all catagories, and was the best by far!

I WOULD NEVER STOP PAYING MONEY TO WATCH MY STEELERS!!

GO PITTSBURGH, GET THAT ONE FOR THE THUMB!!

It's my money; I can spend it on whatever I choose! But I am not stuck on one brand name like so many of these so called Rookie computer experts!

endyen

Splendid
I see your point.
Lost would have us believe that he is an idiot Intel fanboy because of some halftruth that happened before he owned a computer.
I might say that I'm an idiot Amd fanboy because they have always given me the best price performance in my price range.
Truth about me is that I do go with the underdog a lot, and I've been sucked in by Intel's hype once too many times.
Still, if Intel offered better value than Amd, I would consider them, so maybe I'm not that good a fanboy.

tvfreak

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
Who knows why some people are fanboys like amd or intel. All I can say is they keep amd and intel in business. I my self currently us a P4. So far no problems expect one of my IDE doesn't work on the intel mobo, but other than that no problems. I also use a western digital HD and the first one I had died on me. But I still use WD HD, not a fanboy of WD, it's just when I got my first PC and I was told WD was a good company and just don't need to change unless it keeps giving me problems. But for my new rig i'm getting a Opty 175, DFI, corsair mem 2gb, raptor 74gb. This is my third comp, and the reason i'm switching to AMD is because I hear good things about them. I've heard of AMD, but never really gave any thought about that company. But now all I hear is AMD. So, i'm going to give them a try and hopefully it will go all smooth and last for a long time. Samething goes for the mobo as well. I mean I've been doing a lot of reading in this forum and other's as well, and I read some bad stuff so, I hope I don't fall into that category about how my stuff wasn't compatible and stuff. But if it doesn't run smoothly, it's not like i'm going to bash AMD or other companies. Because sh*t happens. Unless it keeps happening then that's a different story. So, hopefully within a couple of weeks I will have my new rig set up. :twisted:

bulkypc07

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
About the benchmark result
der's no big diff. in 4%,5%,6%~7%
about brands just make sure the manufacturer isnt lyn.
About AMD vs. Intel
I choose intel

Rabidpeanut

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
I prefer a wallet that still has money in it, so you can guess what i buy. That is my only real motivation for buying amd, however i did have a really kickass 333 that was an intel it could run Baldur's Gate 2!!!!

lost

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2004
I see your point.
Lost would have us believe that he is an idiot Intel fanboy because of some halftruth that happened before he owned a computer.
I might say that I'm an idiot Amd fanboy because they have always given me the best price performance in my price range.
Truth about me is that I do go with the underdog a lot, and I've been sucked in by Intel's hype once too many times.
Still, if Intel offered better value than Amd, I would consider them, so maybe I'm not that good a fanboy.

My friend I have built more systems than you have had hot breakfasts.

If my memory serves me right AMD has had "problems" for a very long time of one sort or another.

You obviously don't perouse through the rest of this forum. The w_ank_rs that continuosly ask "I've built my AMD system can you please toss over it like I do" or " I put this together and it don't boot".

I have had seven systems which I have built for myself and used personally. The longest lasted 10 years overclocked. I have never had an Intel based system that didn't boot first time.

When I first started to view THG when it first began it was all about AMD and incompatability and scrutinising Intel. You could purchase software with the knowledge that if you had AMD you would probably be searching for patches and pulling your hair out.

The posts today although somewhat different in nature still reflect this.

The performance gains you talk about a really so little. Cheap chips with lots of RA's.

PS how about u all get a life and breath some fresh air!!! :D

I used to choose intel but the way prescott went (more useless cache, hotter cpus, equally expensive cpus), if i bought a new system right now, it wouldnt be Intel, especially when i can get a matching, cooler and faster AMD.

Intel Conroe which is coming in a few months tho, that might be worth looking at, but i aint expecting any mirracles.

RichPLS

Champion
I used Intel mostly with 3 AMD's mixed in. Latest is an Opteron 175 939pin and it is great. Beats what I could have gotten with Intel and sure beats the socks off last years build of a P4 Prescott 3200.
Beginning with the first P4's Intel started losing the performance edge, and when AMD released the Athlon64's on 939pin is when they became a serious competitor in performance and stability.
At the end of this year I see Intel as becoming the one to buy again, but realistically speaking, it depends on what chips are available currently and how much as to which ones are the best to buy now, which currently it is AMD, but Intell is pulling up close behind.

illicitsc

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
they do get rich off us, but when AMD makes a better dual core chip intel releases cheap dual cores to match (well, there not as good, but there dam cheap).

ever wonder how a single 7800gt beats 2 6600gts in sli?
ever wonder if the next gen single cores will destroy the current dualcores?
(2years later)
ever wonder wat u were thinking wehn u payed 1k for that 4800+ two years ago when the lowest end single core is pawning it?

just a thought..
and yes VIA sux ass, same with SIS