Fan configuration and temps question.

RayFields

Commendable
Jun 18, 2016
Specs:
EVGA SuperNOVA 650 GS
Intel BX80662I76700K
ASUS STRIX-GTX980-DC2OC-4GD5
V Series F4-2400C15D-16GVR 16 GB (2x8gb)
ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming

I'm a bit concerned about my motherboard temperature during heavy CPU load.

Idle:
yfHqaeM.png

Playing Overwatch (heavy on video, easy on CPU)
PnP4tKu.png

Playing Beam.NG (soft body vehicle simulation, very heavy on CPU and video)
FpRf78P.png

Temperature rises to 59-61 instantly and stays there, with random, semi-rare spikes reaching as high as 65. Is this a cause for concern?

Question 1: I took a look at my setup, and noticed that there is nothing actively pumping air where the orange rectangle is. This is where I want to install a new fan. Is this a good idea? Green rectangles are active fans.

YzBGnoG.jpg

Excuse some messy wires, I had tried for hours and found ho physically possible way to run them better without using extension cords (which I may buy in the future).

Question 2: The case fans are currently connected to the case itself, which is connected to the PSU. The case has switches for off-mid-high fan speed. Should I use them like that, or is it better to connect the fans straight to my mobo for better results?

Solution
Could you move the HDD to the bottom slot to see if the chipset gets better cooling? It currently is close to a powerful GPU and airflow is somewhat limited by the HDD cage plus the HDD. You should be concerned if it gets close to 95°C at full load.

RayFields

Commendable
Jun 18, 2016

Because I looked up some other threads and found out that 60c for the mobo is the "consider improving the airflow" zone. The users posting haven't specified the load, maybe they were talking about 60 during idle. I'm just being over-protective of my new PC, and don't want to take any chances.

Could you move the HDD to the bottom slot to see if the chipset gets better cooling? It currently is close to a powerful GPU and airflow is somewhat limited by the HDD cage plus the HDD. You should be concerned if it gets close to 95°C at full load.

Solution