[SOLVED] Fan configuration thoughts?

Nov 20, 2020
Case: Thermaltake View 71
Mobo: Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 7 z370
CPU: Intel I7-8700k
Cooler: Corsair H80i (Push/Pull, exhaust rear)
GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX 1070ti
EVGA 500W
Corsair Vengeance 16Gb 2400Mhz

Currently setup with:
3x 120mm intake on the front of the case
1x 120mm intake on the bottom
3x 140mm exhaust out the top
2x 120mm exhaust on the rear (H80i Push/Pull)

My question is, with the three 140mm case fans on the top, am I creating negative pressure inside the case and require more intake? I am just starting to learn more about airflow in a case, but the view 71 has about an inch gap between all of the class panels which creates lots of air flow. I am also starting to perform more fine-tuned overclocking and I don't want airflow to be a limiting factor in this. Just installed the 3x 120mm front case fans recently ("LoOk At ThE pReTtY cOlOrS" :D) as well as the 120mm bottom intake fan and haven't done much testing yet except play with the LED configurations, priorities. Would love to hear suggestions for what would be better or what I may be doing wrong.

Solution
There is no pressure; the View 71 has too many gaps. It's a showcase; performance wasn't the focus, but it does well because of the open design.

You have a unique chassis where it matters little how your fans are set up. It does not follow the traditional(?) rules in other models.
There's no 'airflow limits' when the chassis is practically open everywhere.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
There is no pressure; the View 71 has too many gaps. It's a showcase; performance wasn't the focus, but it does well because of the open design.

You have a unique chassis where it matters little how your fans are set up. It does not follow the traditional(?) rules in other models.

Solution

Ralston18

Titan
This case?

https://www.thermaltakeusa.com/view-71-tempered-glass-rgb-plus-edition.html

My suggestion would be to double-check the current physical configuration: both fans and fan placements to ensure that all is set up with respect to the case specifications and/or other installed components.

Reference being the case User Guide and manual plus any other applicable component manuals.

Do not be distracted by any desire for pretty colors etc..

The objective is proper cooling with respect to system components and applied use.

Never let form get in the way of function.

Reactions: Lehuedood
Nov 20, 2020

Thanks for the input. I figured with all of the gaps in the case that case pressure wouldn't be an issue, but it's always good to have extra opinions.

Nov 20, 2020
This case?

https://www.thermaltakeusa.com/view-71-tempered-glass-rgb-plus-edition.html

My suggestion would be to double-check the current physical configuration: both fans and fan placements to ensure that all is set up with respect to the case specifications and/or other installed components.

Reference being the case User Guide and manual plus any other applicable component manuals.

Do not be distracted by any desire for pretty colors etc..

The objective is proper cooling with respect to system components and applied use.

Never let form get in the way of function.

I am typically a function over form guy, however, that changes when the case is all glass. I want things to both look good and perform great. Physical layout of the fans fits great, going from only the 3x 140mm to 7 case fans made a huge difference in air flow, so far I am happy with it.