Fan Configuration with 360mm Radiator

freidario

Prominent
Jan 29, 2018
Hi guys!

I ordered a H440 V2 for my new build with 3x 120mm front fans and a 140mm in the rear.
Originally I planned on buying a Kraken x52 (2x 120mm) for the top & would be fine with that - trying to have roughly the same intake as exhaust.. but then the x72 (3x120mm) was on sale for the same price as the x52, so I was like "why not?".

My problem now is, that I will have more fans as exhaust than intake - which isn't ideal AFAIK. Should I get 140mm fans for the front, or should I adjust the fan speeds differently for top/back and front so it gets me the air flow/pressure I desire? Or do you have any other suggestions?

TBH this is just for peace of mind, it's not like my i5-6500 will need over the top cooling - but in case I will upgrade some day, I want to have the optimal configuration :)

Regards,
Dario

I don't think I would spend much time worrying about this as it wont make a big difference. If you are really concerned, you may be able to run the radiator in the front as it supports (3) 120mm fans. If not, the extra exhaust wont make a big difference because the airflow will still be slowed some by the radiator.

But if I were you I would take back the x52 all together. Pairing it with a 6500 is like putting high end racing tires on a Toyota Corolla. It is really just a waste of money as it will do nothing for performance and noise will probably be louder. Use the money from the cooler for another part of the rig or some a few AAA games.

That big of a rad on a that processor. You could easily run the fans very low and quiet while still maintaining positive pressure and keep temps very low. I run a 6600k OCed to 4.4 with a 1070 on a 280 rad custom loop and temps are fine. A 360 rad on a CPU only should be pretty chill.

I didn't read your whole post. This is what logically makes the most sense:
Wait until you are ready to upgrade the processor, then purchase the CPU cooler.
It really doesn't make sense to get a CPU cooler now for two reasons:
1. Complete overkill for your existing CPU.
2. Save the extra work of swapping out the CPU cooler for when its actually needed. You might have to purchase a whole new system in the future for gaming demands and find out you don't want the AIO anymore.
3. When it comes time to upgrade the CPU, your opinions on CPU cooler might change as there will be better offerings via both aesthetics and performance.

freidario

Prominent
Jan 29, 2018
[Just to clarify something: I know it's kinda stupid, but I got this AiO mainly for the looks & partially for the reduced noise :p As I explained earlier, I would have gotten one of the lower tier versions, but since the x72 was on sale I felt the urge to buy it. Also it's not exactly an all new build, it's actually just a new case & the AiO - the main components are already there & have been used over a year. The only thing I might swap out is the CPU if I get a good deal on a better one (altough I don't think my board supports overclocking, which is another story) :p]

For now I'll probably topmount it & play around with the fan settings a bit (as soon as the case arrives). Any suggestions on how to check if there's positive or negative pressure inside?

freidario

Prominent
Jan 29, 2018
I meant compared to outside air pressure - like you'd usually aim for a slightly higher pressure inside than airpressure outside to avoid dust being sucked in through non filtered openings. If I had more intake fans than exhaust ones it would be pretty obvious, but when I do the thing with the rad fans slowed down - how do I know that it's "enough" - I'm sure there's a way to calculate all this, but maybe there's some "lifehack"-like trick to find out the pressure difference. I mean I could always get a barometer from somewhere, but yeah, just asking :p