Question Fan Configuration

Jun 2, 2022
Hey, I just built my first PC. I had originally hooked all my fans up through a fan hub. However, when I did this it only showed one fan. So all the fans were being controlled at once. After doing some reading i think this is a bad setup.... So I separated things off like this:

CPU_FAN - AIO Artic II 360 RGB (3 x 120 mm) PWM
CPU_OPT- Exhaust Fan 120mm 3 PIN
CHA_FAN - Front Intake Fan (3 x120 mm) 3 PIN

Can someone please help me to configure the correct fan setup in the ASUS BIOS. Here are the computer specs..... Thank you so much for the help in advance. I am looking forward to learning more about this area of the PC Subject area!

Part Description
Fractal Design Meshify 2 RGB Black TG Light Tinted Tempered Glass Window ATX Mid Tower
CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 CP-9020140-NA 1200W ATX12V v2.4 / EPS12V 2.92 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified Full Modular PSU
ASUS Prime Z690-P WiFi D4 LGA 1700 Intel 12th Gen ATX Motherboard- PCIe 5.0, DDR4
SAMSUNG 870 QVO Series 2.5" 2TB SATA III Samsung 4-bit MLC V-NAND Internal Solid State Drive
SAMSUNG 980 M.2 2280 1TB PCI-Express 3.0 x4, NVMe 1.4 V-NAND MLC Internal Solid State Drive
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 (PC4-25600) C16 Desktop memory – Black
Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 RGB
Intel Core i9-12900KF 16-Core 3.2GHz LGA1700 600 Series 125W Unlocked CP
Nvidia 3080 Ti Founders Edition

So, what you need to do is move your exhaust fan from the CPU_OPT header to another of the CHA_FAN headers, of which there are four on your board.

Then go into the BIOS and make sure that the specific fan headers you have your case fans connected to are configured to be DC controlled, since they are three pin. Then you can also select a specific preset curve OR manually configure your own curve. Silent generally works well but I like to configure manually to say at about 30% speed until motherboard temp sensor hits about 45°C and then set that point at about 40% fan speed, then at about 70°C it should be at about 100 speed so you can find your own preferable curve BUT make sure the headers that you have the case fans connected to are NOT set to use the CPU thermal sensor. They should generally be set to use the "motherboard" thermal sensor although the VRM or GPU sensors can be used as well once you become familiar with what each of them is actually reading off of.

Personally, to begin with, probably best just to make sure those two fan headers are set to DC, reading off the motherboard sensor and set to the silent preset.

Your AIO cooler should have the four pin connector plugged into the CPU_FAN header. There are plenty of tutorials online about how to configure AIO connections by AIO cooler model on Youtube.

Jun 2, 2022
Hey Darkbreeze-

Thank you so much for the insight into how these fans should be configured. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond. For a newbie this helps so much for clarity. Thank you again!

Hey, I just built my first PC. I had originally hooked all my fans up through a fan hub. However, when I did this it only showed one fan. So all the fans were being controlled at once. After doing some reading i think this is a bad setup.... So I separated things off like this:

CPU_FAN - AIO Artic II 360 RGB (3 x 120 mm) PWM
CPU_OPT- Exhaust Fan 120mm 3 PIN
CHA_FAN - Front Intake Fan (3 x120 mm) 3 PIN

Can someone please help me to configure the correct fan setup in the ASUS BIOS. Here are the computer specs..... Thank you so much for the help in advance. I am looking forward to learning more about this area of the PC Subject area!

Part Description
Fractal Design Meshify 2 RGB Black TG Light Tinted Tempered Glass Window ATX Mid Tower
CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 CP-9020140-NA 1200W ATX12V v2.4 / EPS12V 2.92 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified Full Modular PSU
ASUS Prime Z690-P WiFi D4 LGA 1700 Intel 12th Gen ATX Motherboard- PCIe 5.0, DDR4
SAMSUNG 870 QVO Series 2.5" 2TB SATA III Samsung 4-bit MLC V-NAND Internal Solid State Drive
SAMSUNG 980 M.2 2280 1TB PCI-Express 3.0 x4, NVMe 1.4 V-NAND MLC Internal Solid State Drive
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 (PC4-25600) C16 Desktop memory – Black
Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 RGB
Intel Core i9-12900KF 16-Core 3.2GHz LGA1700 600 Series 125W Unlocked CP
Nvidia 3080 Ti Founders Edition
Is your radiator at top or front ? Are radiator fans configured as intake or exhaust ?
Ideally you would want to balance intake and exhaust at opposite sides of the case.

Well, his post clearly states 3 x120mm 3 pin as front intake and 3 x120mm PWM for the AIO, so the AIO pretty much HAS to be in the top of the case, which then means it needs to be configured as exhaust. And if it isn't, he should change it to exhaust.