[SOLVED] fan configuration

Oct 16, 2022
Hey guys!
i just build my first pc and now i have a question about the fan config in my case. i've watched a few videos about it but i can't seem to find the exact anwser im looking for....
i have more exhaust than intake here and i know my pc will get more dust wich is fine, i will clean it atleast 1 time a month more if needed but from the way i understand it it will be less heat in the case this way. but my question is the following: i have my fans on my radiator as exhaust but right now it is pushing hot air from inside the case trough the rad. Does this mean it doesnt really help with cooling my cpu? should i just flip them to intake? i feel like such an idiot since it probaly an easy anwser but i just can't seem to figure it out....

J7G9U.png

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech
Solution
To answer your question, yes, the aio intake using warm case air will not cool the cpu as well as it might if the aio used outside cool air.

But, there is a tradeoff. That reversed arrangement will introduce warmed air into the case where the gpu and motherboard will not cool as well.
Catch 22.

Do you really have a problem that needs fixing?
Are those 11 fans too noisy?
Does your cpu or gpu run too hot and is throttling?

I would worry a bit about dust.
Cleaning a pc will eventually require manual wiping of the parts.
Canned air is not enough.
Prevention is best.

The usual solution for dust is to have a positive pressure setup.
That is one where all of the cooling air comes in at one source and is filtered.
Strong exhaust fans...
i just can't seem to figure it out....

How have you tried to "figure it out"?

By experimentation to see if flipping fans helps?

Or by something else? Just by reading?

Or no experimentation at all?

I'd experiment...and expect to learn something from the experiment.

At some point, you'd have to decide "that's good enough". Where that would be depends on your fear of temperatures.

i have more exhaust than intake here
In a congenial ambient, pressure should be balanced. Which is ideally, front, bottom and side as intake and top and rear as exhaust because hot air goes up.
You have more Negative Pressure, which would ideally benefit hotter ambient and vice versa.

It's good to try different combinations yourself and decide on the best setup depending on temp. results. Results may vary from one system to another.

Last edited:
To answer your question, yes, the aio intake using warm case air will not cool the cpu as well as it might if the aio used outside cool air.

But, there is a tradeoff. That reversed arrangement will introduce warmed air into the case where the gpu and motherboard will not cool as well.
Catch 22.

Do you really have a problem that needs fixing?
Are those 11 fans too noisy?
Does your cpu or gpu run too hot and is throttling?

I would worry a bit about dust.
Cleaning a pc will eventually require manual wiping of the parts.
Canned air is not enough.
Prevention is best.

The usual solution for dust is to have a positive pressure setup.
That is one where all of the cooling air comes in at one source and is filtered.
Strong exhaust fans will tend to draw in unfiltered air from adjacent openings.
As an experiment, see how you do by simply disconnecting the top and bottom fans.
Let the front intakes provide the cooling if they are filtered.

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
the temp increase caused by having aio as intake isn't that big, the GPU temps barely increase and with all those fans in PC I don't think he would notice.

Be better off having AIO as intake where it is now.

Having more exhaust doesn't really matter since CPU uses an AIO. You could make every fan except those on AIO, an exhaust fan, and it wouldn't matter.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I may not have said it exactly but
the temp increase caused by having aio as intake isn't that big, the GPU temps barely increase and with all those fans in PC I don't think he would notice.
sort of insinuates I meant to have AIO as intake on side, then could have bottom fans as intakes if it works and top as exhaust.
bottom fans usefulness depends on how much intake you have on bottom of case.

I just forgot to write that line :)
I was contemplating putting the AIO placement video I always show to prove that GPU temps don't go up regardless of where AIO is, but it didn't really apply to question. Would have shown I meant to have front intake.

One thing which you may want to correct is to use two psu cables, one to each of the 8 pin graphics connectors. You psu manual should be recommending that.
Yes, your cable management will not look as good.

The potential problem is that under a heavy load, a single cable with twin ends may get overloaded and fail.

Oct 16, 2022
thank you guys for the advice! ive changed my fans on side to intake and 2 seperate cable for my gpu. cpu seems to be a 5c cooler. appreciate the help and sorry for sounding dumb