Fan controller or no fan controller?

My case is an NZXT Phantom 410 (gunmetal color). It shipped with 3 reasonably quiet fans. I'd like to add more, then run them all at lower RPMs.

Total, there will be 6 fans once I add more. My case has a 3-speed fan control switch connected to the 3 fans that are currently installed.
When I get the new fans, can those be connected to the 3-speed switch, or will I need a separate fan control for the 3 new fans, like this one?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811992012

Nightman

Reputable
Mar 16, 2014
If it has 4 pin headers, you can plug the fans into those. They have PWM to control the speed.

Edit: You have six fans, and I would say no more than two per header, so if you have three 4 pin headers, you're good, otherwise you'll need a fan controller.

genrldisaray

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
I would definitely go with the fan controller. I use one similar to the one you linked, and being able to individually adjust each fan to the perfect speed is great. Also, if you want to let the motherboard handle it you'll need to buy PWM fans, which are not only more expensive, but you'll have a lot fewer to choose from.

Okay, I'll check that. The fans are mostly LED though, so when the power to the fans decreases, the LED brightness decreases. For aesthetic reasons it might be better to have direct control to make sure the LEDs match. I'll still hope for information about fan controllers. :)

Would it be difficult/impossible to connect the new fans to the switch that's already there? I only ask because if I use a fan controller, half the sliders would be unused due to lack of enough fan slots.

genrldisaray

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012

I would connect all of them to the new controller. The one built into the case is only a 3 speed switch, so you will not be able to fine tune the speed like you could with a full analog controller.

genrldisaray

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012

It's going to be visible whether you're using it or not, but there's no reason to use the inferior option just because it's there.

genrldisaray

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012

If you're handy with a soldering iron you could disconnect the LEDs from your fans and wire them to the switch to let it control the brightness. Without modifications, though, there isn't much use for a fan controller besides fans.

Actually, my case supports 8 fans. 2 on top, 1 on the back, 1 on the bottom, 2 in front, 1 on the side, and 1 by the HDD rack. That's perhaps overkill, but they're mostly well positioned. I could put 6 fans on the controller and just let the switch get the last 2.

genrldisaray

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012

That would work. If you had two fans that worked well at either full voltage or one of the steps on the switch, the fact that they're not fully adjustable wouldn't really be an issue.

TRENDING THREADS