Question Fan controller smells like alkaline battery is that normal?

Oct 16, 2022
I bought this fan controller because i cant plug more fans to my mobo, so i plugged 5 rgb fans directly to psu to power them up, but after 2days my pc shutdown and never start again, found out that my psu died so i ordered a new psu after that i checked my pc components and i smelled something like a leak alkaline battery in the fan controller i checked the inside and didnt see any burn marks, so should i still use the fan controller or should i buy a new good one?

Ralston18

Titan
Not normal. Odors in electronics are a result of heat (usually too much heat) and indicate problems that may not end well.

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

PSU(s): make, model, wattage, condition for old (how old) and new PSU.

What make and model fan controller?

What make and model fans?

I would not reuse a fan controller that had a "smell" to it

You do not need to see burn marks to have something failed or damaged.

Reactions: CookieRanger
Oct 16, 2022
Not normal. Odors in electronics are a result of heat (usually too much heat) and indicate problems that may not end well.

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

PSU(s): make, model, wattage, condition for old (how old) and new PSU.

What make and model fan controller?

What make and model fans?

I would not reuse a fan controller that had a "smell" to it

You do not need to see burn marks to have something failed or damaged.

Bought a bnew corsair 750w 80+ bronze coz my old 600w 80+ bronze psu died when i plugged those 5 rgb fans directly to psu, my spec is
I5-7400
H110m-f
8gb ram
1 ssd 128gb and 2 hdd 1 tb and 4tb
Rx 580 8gb

And will be directly plugging the 5 rgb fans to the psu and yes I'll do what u have just said I'll not use the fan controller, even if there's no burn marks, i thought it was just normal for the controller to smell like that, the store where I ordered it probably gave me a cheap one, thanks for the advice u have given sir