Question Fan controller?

Some1helpme

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2014
Hey guys, so I have 10 sp120 fans in my case and a commander pro, the pro can control the speed of 6 but other 4 are full blast tried doing 2 on a splitter and then to pro but only 1 gets controlled. I can do 6 on pro and 3 on mobo but that last 1 will be 100% There a fan controller that can control all 10 individually either by usb, or fan header or even a physical button? They are 3 pin so voltage regulated I guess rather then pwm.
Thanks

There is no reason you can't use those splitters for two fans per fan header on the motherboard. Seems unusual as well that the splitters don't work with the commander Pro, but it is possible that maybe something wasn't connected correctly? I've seen similar configurations before and they worked fine. Might be a power limitation on the controller as that's a few more fans than usual.

Could also be a pinout issue between the splitters and the control unit design.

I'd simply use your splitters with the fans that need to be connected to the motherboard.

Some1helpme

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2014
Might try the 2 on a splitter and then to motherboard, that will get 6 out the way then 4 on pro. Wary of using all 6 on the pro. Previous case, 460x, only had 4 sp120 on it and burned out the fan ports. Had to rma it, not sure if they were exceeding the power limit.
Right now I have a 8 fan sata powered splitter that has a 2 pin fan header for motherboard but it's not really working.

Yeah, that fan controller is not a very good example of what normally are fairly decent products from Corsair. I'm not a fan of it. The NZXT Grid+ v3 is a MUCH better product, and I've run 10 fans off the older Grid+ v2, but it is ALWAYS better to run fewer fans when possible on any controller, per channel.

Two fans per motherboard header is never an issue though. Three, might be pushing things. Two is good.

Rob_91

Commendable
Apr 21, 2017
What I use is a SATA powered 8 fan splitter. Looks like a little box, and only one wire goes to the motherboard, for PWM control. I chose the CPU fan header because I am using this for my radiator fans. But yeah, now they all spin exactly the same speed, up to 8 fans if I wanted. Controlled via PWM in the bios. It's nice.

Yes, hubs like that work fine. The problem is that MOST of them will not work with 3 pin fans, PWM only. There are SOME that will work with three pin DC controlled fans, but not all of them. Most of them will just run three pin fans at full speed or at preset choice of three speeds. If you have one that will work with the type of fans you have, then it's perfectly fine.