Fan Cooling Part #

Jan 8, 2019
Hello, I need to buy a cpu fan cooler for an Intel core 2 duo 3ghz e6850. I'm replacing a failed liquid cooled asetek LCLC. The cpu is not overclocked so I thought I'd go back to air cooling. Need part # Thanks..

Solution
The CPU cooler should fit. The motherboard mounting points for motherboards in general haven't changed much in years. Even though the Intel LGA #### have changed the actual differences are internal to the socket. And that is mostly true of AMD as well. And often a bracket change is all that is necessary to mount a cooler on another brand of processor.
Jan 8, 2019
Thanks but pardon me. $35 is cheap for this 10yr old PC? I was looking at the $10-15 versions on ebay & amazon. I just didn't know which one to buy. A used stock fan is good enough for me.. Is it a LGA775 socket? Does it use a D60188-001 ? Stuff like that. Thanks.

Here is the one of the cheapest I found.
DEEPCOOL GAMMAXX 300-CPU Cooler 3 Direct Contact Heat Pipes 120mm PWM Silent Fan (AM4 Compatible)

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835856006

Jan 8, 2019
Thank You.. That looks like a good price. As long as it fits my CPU. With the stock fan already replaced (by the broken asetek) I wasnt sure what the correct part # was to reference.

The CPU cooler should fit. The motherboard mounting points for motherboards in general haven't changed much in years. Even though the Intel LGA #### have changed the actual differences are internal to the socket. And that is mostly true of AMD as well. And often a bracket change is all that is necessary to mount a cooler on another brand of processor.

Solution
Jan 8, 2019
Just a follow up. The Deepcool Gammaxx 300 is working great. It has brackets for both Intel & AMD sockets. In this case, Screwed on the Intel brackets & it snapped right into the motherboard. Stress tested it using prime 95 and it passed. 22-25C at idle and approx 45C under stress. Thanks.