[SOLVED] Fan cooling / positioning

Oct 4, 2019
Hi All,

Everyone has been so helpful on here with my first build but had another noob question on my fans.

I want to know if my current set up seems to make sense..

I upgraded my Wraith Prism to Deepcool 360mm AIO as the location of my PC is in some what off a closed location (Underdesk). The back of the PC is around 6 inches away from the wall, the top of the PC has around 12 inches from the top desk and the front is completely free (I hope that makes sense).

After installing the AIO its definitely helped with the CPU temps.

My next question is on my fan set up:

Fan setup:
2 x 140mm fans located at the top which is blowing air ou. Max RPM for each 1700 currently set around 800 - 900 rpm
1 x 120mm located at the back blowing air out. Max rpm 800
3 x 120mm fans attached to radiator (front of PC) which is bringing air in. Max RPM for each is 1800 - usually set to around 800 - 900

1. Is the above overkill?
  2. Does it make sense the way my fans have been set up?
  3. Is there any harm in leaving them configured this way?
  4. I have used AI Suite to configure the fans for optimum use.
Any recommendations?

Thanks again

Computer Type: Desktop - Custom Build
GPU: Zotac RTX 2060 Super 8gb Ram
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700 x stock
Motherboard: Asus x570 TUF Gaming Plus WIFI
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 Memory Kit - Black
PSU: EVGA Supernova 750w PSU
Operating System & Version: Windows 10 Pro

Solution
Thanks....On the Antec DF500 which I have now had a look at, I think the 360mm AIO has to be at the front as you might not have enough space at the top due to clearance issues with the motherboard. Because it does not have a huge ventilation gap at the front, I would play around and test the rear fan as an intake just to see if that makes a difference.

So you would have 3 front fans bringing air in through the radiator, 2 x 140mm fans extracting out of the top and one rear 120mm fan bringing air in over the VRM area....and then sucked out of the top....might be worth a try and it won't hurt as it is a simple change that can be changed back...

Overall though and most importantly, if your temps are good then no real issues.
If your setup is providing good cooling then all is good. Everything makes sense. I have a very similar setup but I have my 360mm AIO in the top of the case extracting air out and have the front fans of my case bring in fresh cool air unimpeded. This works very well for me though I do have the Cooler Master H500P Mesh case. Not sure what you have so it would be good to know. My little side picture just about shows my setup...

Oct 4, 2019
If your setup is providing good cooling then all is good. Everything makes sense. I have a very similar setup but I have my 360mm AIO in the top of the case extracting air out and have the front fans of my case bring in fresh cool air unimpeded. This works very well for me though I do have the Cooler Master H500P Mesh case. Not sure what you have so it would be good to know. My little side picture just about shows my setup...

I have the Antec DF500 Dark fleet series. Originally purchased thise case with only the rear exhaust fan.
Your PC set up looks good!

Thanks....On the Antec DF500 which I have now had a look at, I think the 360mm AIO has to be at the front as you might not have enough space at the top due to clearance issues with the motherboard. Because it does not have a huge ventilation gap at the front, I would play around and test the rear fan as an intake just to see if that makes a difference.

So you would have 3 front fans bringing air in through the radiator, 2 x 140mm fans extracting out of the top and one rear 120mm fan bringing air in over the VRM area....and then sucked out of the top....might be worth a try and it won't hurt as it is a simple change that can be changed back...

Overall though and most importantly, if your temps are good then no real issues.

Reactions: Loftybread
Solution
Oct 4, 2019

I really appreciate this, I might upgrade the rear fan to a bequiet superwing and then try changing it to a intake instead, at the moment the temps seem fine to me.

Reactions: vMax