fan filters and CFM

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
i would say it depends on the filter. mesh would restrict less, depends on how many holes and how small, and something like a cloth filter would restrict more.

any where i would speculate from 1~65%. u cant put how much air flow will be blocked since if the fan onyl pushes 20 cfm a filter would cause it to only push maybe 7 cfm then. depends on the fan and the filter.

kallenin

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2002
Well here's a link to the filter I got:

http://www.cablesunlimited.com/products/Prod_Group.aspx?groupcode=G0345&itemNo=FAN-FILTER-120

It looks like pretty thick stuff. Is there anything I can use to maybe measure air flow? Perhaps I could measure the speed of the air coming right out of the fan with and without the filter to compare. I'd at least get a percentage, since the air flow is proportional to the air speed (and I'm keeping a constant cross-sectional area).

-Kallenin

linux_0

Splendid
Well here's a link to the filter I got:

http://www.cablesunlimited.com/products/Prod_Group.aspx?groupcode=G0345&itemNo=FAN-FILTER-120

It looks like pretty thick stuff. Is there anything I can use to maybe measure air flow? Perhaps I could measure the speed of the air coming right out of the fan with and without the filter to compare. I'd at least get a percentage, since the air flow is proportional to the air speed (and I'm keeping a constant cross-sectional area).

-Kallenin

I believe it's made of foam so it shouldn't restrict airflow that much.

I would suggest you clean it once a week to once a month and you should be fine. :-D

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
hmm, its foam i would say maybe 40%, i dont think they sell any thign to measure air...

You can buy a device that measures face velocity. I assume fan manufacturers use something like that to rate the CFM of their fans. Not sure of the price but it's probably not cheap. A highly restrictive or clogged filter could easily reduce flow by 50% or more. One common tweak for upping the horsepower on street cars that need air filters is to just double the surface area of the filter. So you can have push out fans and some intake area that's filtered with no fan behind it, but you'd want that filter area to be large to minimize the restriction.

linux_0

Splendid
hmm, its foam i would say maybe 40%, i dont think they sell any thign to measure air...

You can buy a device that measures face velocity. I assume fan manufacturers use something like that to rate the CFM of their fans. Not sure of the price but it's probably not cheap. A highly restrictive or clogged filter could easily reduce flow by 50% or more. One common tweak for upping the horsepower on street cars that need air filters is to just double the surface area of the filter. So you can have push out fans and some intake area that's filtered with no fan behind it, but you'd want that filter area to be large to minimize the restriction.

Indeed, increasing the surface area helps quite a bit! :-D

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
hmm, i got an idea.

make a sort of sandwich. get a filter, then a fan then a filter then if u can another fan.. should keep ur system pretty dust free.

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
Hey,

Does anyone know roughly how much a fan filter brings down the CFM of a fan?

-Kallenin

Most exit fan protectors on a PC case block as much as 70% of the fans airflow.

Now that you know that fact...why would you want to put foam in the intake flow to basicly block it further?

Improve the exit air flow (remove the cases exit fan protector) and you will see not just better cooling but less dust inside the case each month when you open it to clean it.

Dust is not so much of an issue as lint,animal hairs and ....cobwebs!

Z

pkesel

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
Why measure CFM at all? Isn't the temperature what you're worried about? Put the filter in and measure how it affects temp. If the temps are OK who cares about CFM?

Unless of course you're inflating your life raft or perhaps entered in a PC Case CFM league or something.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
Why measure CFM at all? Isn't the temperature what you're worried about? Put the filter in and measure how it affects temp. If the temps are OK who cares about CFM?

Unless of course you're inflating your life raft or perhaps entered in a PC Case CFM league or something.

Obviously, the two are related. I find it logical to consider the tradeoff between excluding dust/lint/hair/food/cats/etc/ and flow. One key issue is that it's not static. Your maximum flow will depend on numerous component like the number/size/speed of fans + inlet area and the factors that restrict those fans and inlets. The internals of the computer matter too, obviously, since they can restrict flow in a big way. The grilles and other fixed issues will determine your optimal flow but things like filters can change their flow characteristics dramatically over time. Some folks just don't remember to do maintenance and/or avoid it like Nintendo-neck. So, bottom line is that measuring the flow quantitatively isn't important to the masses, but if you are considering modifying your filtering, it's not an odd approach to understanding the issues.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
also i think mesh filters are the most useless of all, the holes are too big to help

You can find mesh in a variety of sizes. I picked up a bunch of different sizes online and have been piddling with different sandwiches. The fine size stuff is way too restrictive for the fans I'm using. I think case makers are afraid to make mesh filter that load up too quickly, so they make the holes too big. Foam works well and can be cleaned with water, but ozone breaks it down fairly quickly and fans produce ozone.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
One common tweak for upping the horsepower on street cars that need air filters is to just double the surface area of the filter.
Yeah.....throw a K+N Filter on it. :wink:

PS. that's why i like panty-hose....They are stretchy, so you can vary the

amount of restriction by pulling them tighter, or loosening them off. Elastic

band to hold it tight. :)

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
PS. that's why i like panty-hose....They are stretchy, so you can vary the amount of restriction by pulling them tighter, or loosening them off. Elastic band to hold it tight. :)

Are you talkin' about fan filtration or bondage?Well.....both involve blowing. 8O

TRENDING THREADS