Fan Filters?

goga44

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
Hi, in my nzxt phantom full tower case a lot of fans and a lot of room for more fans.In every fan "hole" theres a black thing that is as wide as the "hole", i would think its a dust filter. Without knowing this though i took them off a week ago, and recently i thought of the possibility of them being case filters. I took them off because i wanted my LED lights to shine brighter through them since they were letting very little light out. Is there a problem to running a pc without filters? if it is, do i need all of them? or only where i got an intake fan? ur thoughts please guys...

i take all mine out

lets more air flow for better cooling and as you say the fan leds show brighter

only downside is you draw more dust in

but i clean inside my pc and my radiator regularly so doesnt bother me if the dust gets in

Max Collodi

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010

Get a can of compressed air to blow out the dust. I use the compressed air while holding a vacuum nozzle near the side of the case to capture as much of the dislodged dust as possible to prevent it from recycling back into the case.

How often depends on a variety of factors including how dusty your environment is. It helps if your computer has a clear side panel so you can more easily monitor the dust formation. I keep a flashlight next to my computer so I can examine all areas of the interior through the side panel.

i use a small paint brush--not a nylon one

dislodge all the dust and fluff and then i just blow it out with my partners hairdryer on cold and held a couple of

feet away--then vacuum it off the floor not put the vacuum in the pc

signor

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2010
I use an industrial vacuum which can push or pull air, I just take a bit of care not to get too close apart from on case fans; I have not had any problems and the case is as clean as a whistle :)

goga44

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
so is it setled then? no problems with using my computer without filters as long as i clean it right? and would i need to clean if i left the filters on?

if you leave the filters on then you need to clean the filters as they block with dust

some filters are easily removed to clean and some are a bit of a pain as they can be held in by little bendable

metal tabs and may involve removing the front of the case etc--not sure how easy it is on your case to remove

them

goga44

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
if you leave the filters on then you need to clean the filters as they block with dust

some filters are easily removed to clean and some are a bit of a pain as they can be held in by little bendable

metal tabs and may involve removing the front of the case etc--not sure how easy it is on your case to remove

them

wow, mine are screwed in with the fan :ouch: , i guess its better to be without them then

Xlack

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012
Clean PC monthly and you will be fine! Like everyone said above filters are there only to keep the dust out

dRyk

TRENDING THREADS