[SOLVED] Fan for GPU

godspanther

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2012
I have an AMD Radeon XFX Double D HD 7970 Black Edition 3GB GDDR5. One of the fans have begun to squeak. I have to find out what kind/size of fan I need. I only want to have to take everything apart once. Any help?

86zx

Upstanding
Nov 1, 2019
Another option is to get a bit of oil of sorts motor oil or vegetable oil would work and put a little drop in it and spin it around a lot and that might help the squeaking. I’ve don’t it to a few case fans over the years

86zx

Upstanding
Nov 1, 2019
I wouldn't use vegetable oil nor common motor oil. For electronics my preferred oils are synthetic as to no interact with plastics as petroleum oils can eat away them. Super Lube brand oil are excellent for this.
I’ve just used mobile one synthetic 5w 30 haven’t had any issues, maybe I should’ve specified, there is also electric motor oils but I haven’t really looked at the make up I would assume it’s not synthetic unless it specifies on the bottle

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Adding oil do a damaged fan bearing is a temporary measure at best. I've tried it in the past, usually lasted a few more months, then grinds to a halt. Never done a GPU though, depends on the fan, some of them are those magnetic bearing kind. Only lube is in the teeny tiny spindle at the top that gets it centered to start.