Fan grinding noise

Cephii

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014
Okay, so I bought a CyberpowerPC about 2 months ago and it has been running fine, but on Friday when I turned it on the fan (not sure if its CPU or Case Fan) it starts making a grinding noise that scared the living hell out of me because I thought the PC was done for, but I turned it off and it went back to normal on startup. Then today about 10 minutes ago it did the same thing, but once again stopped after I reset the PC. Anything I could do to fix that? Any help is much appreciated!

larkspur

Distinguished
You'll need to find out which fan is doing it. Run the computer with the case open. Inspect each fan - make sure the fan can spin completely freely and isn't bumping into something. Check to make sure each fan is mounted securely - some cpu coolers use metal clips to hold the fan to the cpu heatsink - check and make sure those are nice and tight and the blades are unimpeded. You should also pay close attention to the power supply fan - I'm not sure what kind of quality Cyberpower uses for their PSUs.

Eric Joh

Honorable
Feb 12, 2014

Surprising that it made it past QC. This is the best way to troubleshoot it - open up the case and you will see your PC's innards. You will notice, that it is very easy to disconnect the case fans from the rest of the wiring. I would start there - unplug the power cord. Open her up, disconnect 1, 2, or 3 case fans at a time and start it up. If noise persists, plug those case fans back in and try a few others. If none of those worked, it could be the CPU cooler or the PSU fan. In BIOS, you can toggle the speed of the CPU fan (if your mobo allows for it), see if that changes the noise. You can also turn the CPU fan off (don't do this for long) by making it to windows and installing SpeedFan and turning it to 0%. If the noise persists still, then it might be the PSU. Open your PC with it on and carefully put your ear towards the PSU, the source of the noise will become obvious this way - you can even make this your first step.

I've bought from CyberPowerPC 2 times now. They really do make it affordable and their forums are great, but every time there is always something moderately off about what I receive (slightly damaged, RAM not seated correctly, HDD not working properly). I was in your shoes once. Putting your own PC together is actually A LOT easier than you'd think, and you will save even more money that way because CyberPower overcharges for certain components, like if you want to go from crap PSU to high quality PSU. Once you immerse yourself into building your own PC, it becomes a very fun and personal experience and is really not that hard at all. Its like putting a Lego set together when you are a kid - at first its a little confusing but it becomes easy very quickly and is worth the effort.

Cephii

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014

Okay I did what you said and it is the rear case fan when i unplugged it the PC ran fine no grinding noises nothing. I was originally going to build my own, and was looking forward to it, but since my dad was buying it for me he wanted a prebuilt so I went with it. Next time for 100% certainty will build my own.