[SOLVED] Fan header x63 kraken

Sep 22, 2020
do i need to plug in the fan header that comes off the pump on the NZXT Kraken X63 280mm i have seen some people say its just to pass the bios no detected fan screen on boot i was gonna use the fans connected the the radiator for my cpu+cpu_opt headers instead of the one off the pump if that was the case cause i do not have a fan hub/controller/or extra splitters

Solution
What you did is exactly right.This provides power and speed control to the rad fans from that header, and ensures the pump speeed signal is sent to the header for monitoring. The FAN speeds will not be sensed or reported by the header and cannont be monitored for failure, but that is OK. All that means is that you should verify from time to time that both rad fans are still working.
Does this model have an internal USB header connector for control/monitoring? As long as everything is working (pump/fans) and you are able to control/monitor everything properly then you don't need to use it.

My H80i v2 connects to an internal USB header so I didn't need to use any of my fan/pump motherboard headers, YMMV, of course.

Sep 22, 2020
Does this model have an internal USB header connector for control/monitoring? As long as everything is working (pump/fans) and you are able to control/monitor everything properly then you don't need to use it.

My H80i v2 connects to an internal USB header so I didn't need to use any of my fan/pump motherboard headers, YMMV, of course.
yes it does

Last edited:

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I think your best path is to get a simple 2-output fan Splitter (It might even have come with the system). Plug the pump tach cable into the CPU_FAN header as instructed so its speed is sent to that header. This is important to monitor the pump for FAILURE (detected by suddenly no "fan" (i.e., pump) speed to trigger fast warnings and protective action. Use the Splitter to connect both rad fans to the CPU_OPT header which will control their speeds according to the internal temperature of the CPU. Make the SATA power connection to the pump unit, and its USB2 connection cable, too. That cable is how the CAM software utility monitors and controls the Kraken 63 AIO system.

Sep 22, 2020
I think your best path is to get a simple 2-output fan Splitter (It might even have come with the system). Plug the pump tach cable into the CPU_FAN header as instructed so its speed is sent to that header. This is important to monitor the pump for FAILURE (detected by suddenly no "fan" (i.e., pump) speed to trigger fast warnings and protective action. Use the Splitter to connect both rad fans to the CPU_OPT header which will control their speeds according to the internal temperature of the CPU. Make the SATA power connection to the pump unit, and its USB2 connection cable, too. That cable is how the CAM software utility monitors and controls the Kraken 63 AIO system.
after getting the cooler and unboxing it, it came with a triple fan splitter (they don't say anywhere on the site or box that it comes with this) but i assume i just plug the 2 fans the one from the pump all into that and plug the splitter to my main cpu header? (i also plugged the fan header from the pump into the 4 pin one on the splitter and the other fans in the 3 pin ones)

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
What you did is exactly right.This provides power and speed control to the rad fans from that header, and ensures the pump speeed signal is sent to the header for monitoring. The FAN speeds will not be sensed or reported by the header and cannont be monitored for failure, but that is OK. All that means is that you should verify from time to time that both rad fans are still working.

Reactions: igotquestion
Solution

jasonf2

Distinguished
The Kraken will control itself. The header connectors are to fake out the signal to the motherboard so connect them, or ignore the cpu fan speed signal in bios. Make sure that the sata power connector and the usb header are connected. The SATA power connector provides power, the usb will allow you to connect with the cam software. Once up load CAM and all of fan profile settings will have to be set in CAM software, not bios. Bios adjustments will not control the Kracken fan or pump speeds.

TRENDING THREADS