Question Fan Hub and RGB Fans, How does this work?

Jan 30, 2019
My Phanteks p600s case came with a Fan Hub.
I am looking at the RGB ML140 Corsair Fans.
My Mobo is a z390 Gigabyte Designare. (only 1 usb internal connection)
The cpu cooler is a noctua D15s just to include all details.

Is this a pain to install? I know the 3 pack of 120's comes with everything - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076VD725X/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
but will it create issues with the cases Fan Hub?

Am I better off with just the basic ML140 LED options that are one wire, no extra hub for lighting?
I would love the RGB but not if it is going to be a pain to wire up.
I also have the 3 case fans it came with that would need to go to the fan hub and 1 rear exhaust fan.

My gut saying just do the LED version for simplicity! I can always add a RGB led strip so the fans just all work off the Hub and still get some color choices.
I appreciate any feedback on this topic or even if a different fan/rgb combo is recommended- This is my first build so don't rip one me too much over the RGB stuff!

Thanks guys

Fan Hub has nothing to do with corsair kit. Fan Hub is used when you have more fans then connectors on the motherboard so it will control the speed of all fans, it's like an extension. Corsair RGB lighting hub only controls the lighting. You put the power fan cord into Phanteks PWM fan hub, you put the RGB cord of the fan into Corsair RGB lighting hub

Reactions: threat
Jan 30, 2019
Fan Hub has nothing to do with corsair kit. Fan Hub is used when you have more fans then connectors on the motherboard so it will control the speed of all fans, it's like an extension. Corsair RGB lighting hub only controls the lighting. You put the power fan cord into Phanteks PWM fan hub, you put the RGB cord of the fan into Corsair RGB lighting hub

Thank you! I am sitting here over thinking every small detail and most likely confusing myself for nothing!

Now to decide which fans to use!

Jan 30, 2019
get the ones you linked - they are great

Now that I compare the Thermaltake RGB options to the Corsair I realize the Corsair requires a node and a hub- the thermaltake is one box, one wire. seems like a better design and less wiring! Corsair wins the user interface battle for sure though. I also have a fan hub built into my phanteks case so not sure how that works with these companies hubs.

I am worried that my gigabyte z390 designare MOBO may not work with corsair or thermaltake, Im not seeing the symbol for gigabyte comparability. I may just get an LED version and call it a day. The RGB stuff is nice looking but it confuses me so much as to what works with what, what hub is needed, how do I control my non rgb front fans with the on board hub and then my top fans with its own required hub, node and MOBO plug in. I kind of just want to turn the computer on and have everything work smoothly!

I really like the Thermaltake riing trio even at 130$ - just not sure it will work as I want with other fans and mobo software.
Corsair LL is nice as well, but not sure about the node and hub combo.
Corsair ML RGB, same as above.
Corsair ML LED... seems like one wire plugs into my hub and it works like a non lighted fan would. (this seems easiest but least fancy color options)

Jan 30, 2019
get the ones you linked - they are great

Just to keep my own thread moving:

Realizing in order for me to control the fan speeds I need the commander pro.
Not sure I want to spend another 60$ just to control fan speed. Corsair has so many boxes and hubs it has made me not even want to add RGB to my build.
Thermaltake option seems easier especially being one wire, one box- but at 130$ and its still a hydro fan, I cant justify it.

I think some basic LED fans will work fine, just sucks you cant turn them off and still control fan speeds!

Why do all the RGB fan options for PC builds stink? I would think this stuff would be way more streamline by now.