[SOLVED] Fan is making a start up noise, then disappears

Status
Not open for further replies.

icyulkn

Reputable
BANNED
Mar 4, 2019
The fan makes a not-so-great noise for about 7-10 seconds and then goes away. Can someone tell me if this is a sign of a failing fan? I have another day or two before I can return it. Thanks

Solution
What sort of noise: clicks, squeals, whirrrr..?

Could be a faulty fan but more likely just some inbalance until the fan gets up to full speed.

Maybe the blades are touching the housing or a cable and once full air flow is established the case and/or blades flex ending contact.

Power down, unplug, open the case. Use a bright flashlight to inspect the fan: Housing, blades, and surrounding area. Look for signs of contact or damage. Maybe some piece of debris in the fan.

Try gently wiggling or twisting the fan. Does the entire fan housing move in any manner?

Ensure that the screws are all evenly snug and tight. Do not over tighten.

Ralston18

Titan
What sort of noise: clicks, squeals, whirrrr..?

Could be a faulty fan but more likely just some inbalance until the fan gets up to full speed.

Maybe the blades are touching the housing or a cable and once full air flow is established the case and/or blades flex ending contact.

Power down, unplug, open the case. Use a bright flashlight to inspect the fan: Housing, blades, and surrounding area. Look for signs of contact or damage. Maybe some piece of debris in the fan.

Try gently wiggling or twisting the fan. Does the entire fan housing move in any manner?

Ensure that the screws are all evenly snug and tight. Do not over tighten.

Solution

icyulkn

Reputable
BANNED
Mar 4, 2019
When I power down the computer and let the fan sit and then power up again it doesn't make the sound. When I leave it off overnight, it makes the sound.

Last edited:

icyulkn

Reputable
BANNED
Mar 4, 2019
I fidgeted with it (all of the fans) and it didn't make the noise today. I hope this is the end of it (I'll let you know). I have no clue what it could have been. I spun the fans numerous times, messed with the wires just in case. I also messed around with the screws a bit as well. Time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.