[SOLVED] Fan issue with Zotac 1080 Ti Blower Edition ?

Jun 25, 2021
It's been 3 years since I've had this gpu. So for the first 30 minutes after I turn my pc on, the fan works like a charm, fulfilling every command I'm throwing at it(via firestorm) . But after 30 minutes, the speed of fan starts fluctuating on its own and it goes from 10 percent fan speed to 80-100 percent fan speed continuously for the next 5 minutes. After that the fan becomes unresponsive with its speed fluctuating between 0-20 percent.I can't even run fm on my pc. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Solution
Thanks for the reply. I've already done that twice but that didn't help unfortunately. But the thermal paste I used was a generic one. Should I go for an expensive one? Will that make difference?
No It won't make a difference. Not a substantial one, unless you are using too much already. I would check around the gpu one more time, make sure there isn't an spillage of thermal paste. This can easily cause issues such as this, on the other hand if the issue began before you tried to fix it in this manner you might have a this likely isn't the issue.

Get rid of fire storm, it isn't needed during troubleshooting... or at all frankly unless you want to change the LED color. The Nvidia software handles all these features and more...
It sounds like you need to clean your card, possibly repaste it.

Well Corey Trevorson what you need to do is remove the heatsink
remove the old thermal paste from the gpu and the cooler with 90% alcohol then clean the fins and fan on your cooler with a qtip/paper towel.

Apply some new thermal paste, this is not like a cpu, less is more. but ensure the entire gpu die is covered thinly.

Put it all back together and head down to the LC after ya get it running

Reactions: Randeylahey
It's been 3 years since I've had this gpu. So for the first 30 minutes after I turn my pc on, the fan works like a charm, fulfilling every command I'm throwing at it(via firestorm) . But after 30 minutes, the speed of fan starts fluctuating on its own and it goes from 10 percent fan speed to 80-100 percent fan speed continuously for the next 5 minutes. After that the fan becomes unresponsive with its speed fluctuating between 0-20 percent. I'm facing this problem since the last 2 months. I can't even run fm on my pc. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I think it's possible you are having a component in the GPU beginning to fail as it warms.

Reactions: Randeylahey
Jun 25, 2021
It sounds like you need to clean your card, possibly repaste it.

Well Corey Trevorson what you need to do is remove the heatsink
remove the old thermal paste from the gpu and the cooler with 90% alcohol then clean the fins and fan on your cooler with a qtip/paper towel.

Apply some new thermal paste, this is not like a cpu, less is more. but ensure the entire gpu die is covered thinly.

Put it all back together and head down to the LC after ya get it running
Thanks for the reply. I've already done that twice but that didn't help unfortunately. But the thermal paste I used was a generic one. Should I go for an expensive one? Will that make a difference?

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I've already done that twice but that didn't help unfortunately. But the thermal paste I used was a generic one. Should I go for an expensive one? Will that make difference?
No It won't make a difference. Not a substantial one, unless you are using too much already. I would check around the gpu one more time, make sure there isn't an spillage of thermal paste. This can easily cause issues such as this, on the other hand if the issue began before you tried to fix it in this manner you might have a this likely isn't the issue.

Get rid of fire storm, it isn't needed during troubleshooting... or at all frankly unless you want to change the LED color. The Nvidia software handles all these features and more layers of software is not ideal.

run more antivirus software malwarebytes or something

then take these steps.

If that does not work out, reinstall windows.

Last edited:
Solution
Jun 25, 2021

Get rid of fire storm, it isn't needed during troubleshooting... or at all frankly unless you want to change the LED color. The Nvidia software handles all these features and more layers of software is not ideal.

run more antivirus software malwarebytes or something

then take these steps.

If that does not work out, reinstall windows.
Will open the GPU again and check the condition of the thermal paste although the issue did start even before I changed the thermal paste. Will uninstall firestorm. I have already reinstalled my gpu drivers but will do it again using the method you mentioned. Plus will reinstall windows too.I Will provide an update soon after doing all this.

Will open the GPU again and check the condition of the thermal paste although the issue did start even before I changed the thermal paste. Will uninstall firestorm. I have already reinstalled my gpu drivers but will do it again using the method you mentioned. Plus will reinstall windows too.I Will provide an update soon after doing all this.

Oh I was suggesting them as steps, you could do them all at once if you choose, but I suggest just taking the steps before windows reinstall first.

Jun 25, 2021
Oh I was suggesting them as steps, you could do them all at once if you choose, but I suggest just taking the steps before windows reinstall first.
Just getting desperate here that's all. It's a very annoying issue and the chances of my gpu working normally again are slim but I want to try every solution before giving up on it.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2021
So I tried almost all steps(except windows reinstall) that you mentioned. But sadly I still have the issue. I think it's more of a hardware problem. The next thing I'll do now is I'll replace the fan and hopefully that solves it.

Jun 25, 2021
I'm doubting it's a component failure from heating up. Firestorm is demanding enough to heat up the entire card in a minute, not requiring 30ish.

If I had to bet, I'd guess the pcb inside the fan that deals with the pwm functions is toast and the motor is taking that long to provide enough heat to create issues.
I hope you are right and a fan replacement fixes the issue. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: spentshells