[SOLVED] fan issue...won't spin or spins sporadically.

boogieman.zhou

Reputable
Feb 9, 2019
I have a case I bought I would say about 10 or 11 years ago. I know it is an Antec something. It has one fan up top with a "spolier" a fan in the back, a fan in the front, and the power bay is in the bottom. For the life of me I am not certain which case it is. I updated a bunch of stuff a few years back, and these days the fans do not spin as they should. I for the life of me cannot recall if they worked correctly after the original update but I did add in a new Nvidia GForce GTX 1080 about a year ago. I am concerned that either the fans. being old have worn and need to be replaced, or that the addition of the new graphics card might be too much for the power supply I bought a few years back to run everything. I am hoping someone has a suggestion of a way to be certain. Also, I am hoping maybe someone will recognize the case, since I am not certain what size fans this box is using. The power supply is a EVGA Supernova NEX750B.

Found the case. It is a Antec P182 Gun Metal Black which has 120 mm fans. Is it likely these have just worn out or is it possible my power supply is insufficient?

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Update I found a cooler master power supply calculator and did my best to fill that out and it recommends I have at least 618 W power supply. The one I have is a 750 if I am correct. So is it likely that my fans are simply worn out from 10 years of use?

Solution
I see. Seems like you are right about wearing out.
Perhaps that fan on the back makes loud sometimes because of worn bush or maybe screws are not tightened enough; in the first case you should replace the fan with a new one.
That fan on the top probably doesn't have enough lubricant or it's too much of electrical resistance to start the fan. In both cases you'll have to replace it with a new one. In the first case it should probably be a bit louder than others.
Btw, just to exclude the possibility of a problem with psu, try to unplug all the fans except that on the top and remove the graphic card. Also, try to plug the top fan with another psu cable, maybe with a shorter one.

rustech

Proper
Apr 28, 2018
Well, wearing out is possible, but for all the fans at the same time - a bit unlikely. As I can see your fans go straightly into psu, not into motherboard, is it correct? Can you unplug your graphic card, disks, run the pc and look if fans would spin?

boogieman.zhou

Reputable
Feb 9, 2019
Sorry if I was not clear. The front fan does not seem to spin, and I do not recall if that one ever did. I am guessing I may have not gotten it plugged in correctly. I just do not think I ever worried about that one as it was on the front with nothing between it and the rest of the case. With the other two I figured I was good. I believe the fan on the back runs fairly smooth, but sometimes it will become loud, I tap the back of the case by it and it generally will go back to being quieter. The fan on the top is the main concern. It currently does not spin although occasionally it will make a partial rotation or a few rotations. It slowed down awhile back, and I noticed if I used a screw to kind of push it along it would get back to spinning. That is the main reason I figure it is worn out. I hope that explains things better. Sorry for any confusion.

And you are correct that the fans plug into the psu.

rustech

Proper
Apr 28, 2018
I see. Seems like you are right about wearing out.
Perhaps that fan on the back makes loud sometimes because of worn bush or maybe screws are not tightened enough; in the first case you should replace the fan with a new one.
That fan on the top probably doesn't have enough lubricant or it's too much of electrical resistance to start the fan. In both cases you'll have to replace it with a new one. In the first case it should probably be a bit louder than others.
Btw, just to exclude the possibility of a problem with psu, try to unplug all the fans except that on the top and remove the graphic card. Also, try to plug the top fan with another psu cable, maybe with a shorter one.

Solution

boogieman.zhou

Reputable
Feb 9, 2019

Thank you much. I have some new fans on the way I will just replace them all, and see how that goes first. If there are issues with running all the fans then I will try out your trouble shooting of the fans.