[SOLVED] Fan Layout in 011 Dynamic with 360 rad.

mxnty

Prominent
Mar 4, 2021
I was wondering the best way to cool my CPU while having decent airflow in the Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic. I watched Hardware Canucks’ video on the airflow. I have a 360mm Radiator and I’m planning to use it like so:

Top Mount AIO: Exhaust
Side Fan Mount: Intake
Bottom Fan Mount: Intake

I was also wondering if I should replace the Z73 fans with the RGB ones I bought for the case.

Specs:
5900X
EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3080 Ti
NZXT Kraken Z73
ASUS ROG Strix Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
EVGA G3 1000W (not supernova)
Fans: Bitspower Touchaqua Notos 0 RGB Fans
Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic

Thank you for reading.

Solution
I would not replace the fans with those fans. The Aer P 120mm Fans on the Kraken Z73 have a maximum static pressure rating of 2.93 mm-H₂O while the Bitspower Touchaqua Notos 0 RGB fans only have a static pressure rating of 1.2 mm-H₂O, a significant reduction that will almost certain translate into a loss of overall performance.

As far as the fan arrangement and orientation, aside from a few niche products like some mini-ITX cases, most all tower cases generally should be configured so that any fans or radiators installed in the top or rear locations are exhaust and any installed in the front, side or bottom locations are intake. So IMO your intentions are correct.
I would not replace the fans with those fans. The Aer P 120mm Fans on the Kraken Z73 have a maximum static pressure rating of 2.93 mm-H₂O while the Bitspower Touchaqua Notos 0 RGB fans only have a static pressure rating of 1.2 mm-H₂O, a significant reduction that will almost certain translate into a loss of overall performance.

As far as the fan arrangement and orientation, aside from a few niche products like some mini-ITX cases, most all tower cases generally should be configured so that any fans or radiators installed in the top or rear locations are exhaust and any installed in the front, side or bottom locations are intake. So IMO your intentions are correct.

Solution
Aug 5, 2021

I'm preparing a nearly identical build as the OP, but I'm seeing a bit of conflicting information on where to place the radiator for my Z73. Assuming I'm going to utilize all 6 remaining fan placements after the AIO, is there any major advantage between mounting the radiator at the top vs the side with this case? With no rear fan available I'm feeling out of sorts on how to maximize airflow. I feel like the 2 v 1 placement in any direction is always going to result in intake vs outtake being imbalanced.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Assuming I'm going to utilize all 6 remaining fan placements after the AIO, is there any major advantage between mounting the radiator at the top vs the side with this case?
Depends on the hardware you're cooling, but in the case of a 360mm AIO, these things are inflexible compared to the smaller sizes.
A top mount is sort of a must with that big ol' thing, because it'll last longer that way. The tubes are just too short on 360mm and larger units to do front-mount-tubes-down, forcing a tubes up.
The problem with tubes up is over time, as fluid permeates the tubes and the air volume inside increases, there's more air collecting at the inlet side of the radiator, and this produces more noise - a sort of running, or trickling water effect.
There's nothing wrong with that, per se, but the noise is going to bother users before long, forcing them to move the radiator up top(if it's even possible with the chassis they have), or replace the AIO before its time is even up(kind of a waste)..

Reactions: iBleedR3d
Aug 5, 2021
Depends on the hardware you're cooling, but in the case of a 360mm AIO, these things are inflexible compared to the smaller sizes.
A top mount is sort of a must with that big ol' thing, because it'll last longer that way. The tubes are just too short on 360mm and larger units to do front-mount-tubes-down, forcing a tubes up.
The problem with tubes up is over time, as fluid permeates the tubes and the air volume inside increases, there's more air collecting at the inlet side of the radiator, and this produces more noise - a sort of running, or trickling water effect.
There's nothing wrong with that, per se, but the noise is going to bother users before long, forcing them to move the radiator up top(if it's even possible with the chassis they have), or replace the AIO before its time is even up(kind of a waste)..
I'll be using the EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3080 Ti same as the OP, but with a 5800x instead.

I was leaning toward mounting the radiator up top anyway because I think it looks much more aesthetically pleasing. I just wanted to make sure there was no major thermal advantage between the top vs side mount.

That said I'll now be using 2 x 3 Lian Li 120 UNI fans for the sides/bottom. I would assume it's a given for maximum airflow the side fans should be intake, but I'm still not sure how to set the bottom fans. While there's a sizeable gap at the bottom of the o11is it really sufficient enough for intake? Or will the intake from the side properly disperse air to both the radiator fans and bottom fans assuming both are set to outtake?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I would assume it's a given for maximum airflow the side fans should be intake, but I'm still not sure how to set the bottom fans.
Not necessarily.
A PC is a space heater, so a target of exhaust > intake is going to be more efficient than the frequently recommended intake > exhaust setups.
I don't want to get into a big debate about it, but the dust argument is at your discretion.

The bottom of the O11 isn't that great for airflow, even though it does have some space underneath - it's still presents more air resistance than the side and top.
FYI, the gpu's fans can already act as a bottom intake, and have a wider range of access(rear PCIe slots, bottom, side), so more fans down there isn't a necessity.

mxnty

Prominent
Mar 4, 2021
I’ve heard rumors of the 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra running hotter than it normally should. Would the bottom intake solve this problem? I mean, in Hardware Canucks’ video, he said it’ll give cool air to the GPU reducing temps. @iBleedR3d My guess it to follow convention, although fans can overcome it. Let’s keep each other posted.

Even if you bottom mount the radiator and do get cool air coming in, you are going to end up with this happening. THIS, is an important consideration for ANY and ALL water cooling configurations. I highly recommend that you watch it in it's entirety.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It's more or less a 3090 FTW3 with half the Vram. Both chug down power, and power use = heat.
GDDR6X memory runs hotter than R6, R5X, and R5 ever did. EVGA is one of the few vendors who seems to have G6X Vram cooling under control.

Pretty sure simply having more exhausts than intakes is going to be better for thermals than what little air intake does come in from the bottom.
EVGA is supposed to have some good coolers on these cards. The problem is that these gpus in particular, guzzle power.
Don't be too surprised if you find yourself running the A/C's thermostat lower, or leaving it on longer than you're used to.
I've seen several folks talk about their rooms getting hot, and whaddya know, they've got a power hog of a gpu, or both cpu and gpu are guzzlers...

I'm also not quite sure why nobody is putting a fan in the rear of that case, but you can bet if I was using one I'd either mod that back panel to AT LEAST take a 120mm exhaust fan, or figure out a way to maybe put a couple of 92mm fans back there. The additional exhaust in an otherwise decent enclosure, especially if you ARE running heat miser hardware, couldn't hurt and likely would help significantly since the only exhaust is in the top.

Aug 5, 2021
It's more or less a 3090 FTW3 with half the Vram. Both chug down power, and power use = heat.
GDDR6X memory runs hotter than R6, R5X, and R5 ever did. EVGA is one of the few vendors who seems to have G6X Vram cooling under control.

Pretty sure simply having more exhausts than intakes is going to be better for thermals than what little air intake does come in from the bottom.
EVGA is supposed to have some good coolers on these cards. The problem is that these gpus in particular, guzzle power.
Don't be too surprised if you find yourself running the A/C's thermostat lower, or leaving it on longer than you're used to.
I've seen several folks talk about their rooms getting hot, and whaddya know, they've got a power hog of a gpu, or both cpu and gpu are guzzlers...
Still haven't received my parts. But I've been going back and forth on my fan placement. I wish they would have arrived by now so I'd stop second guessing myself. I was initially in line with your suggestion, but the more I think about it the more I'm leaning toward intake on the side and bottom with the exhaust through the top radiator.

I'd really like more exhaust, but I also do like the idea of having the intake right onto the GPU, and the air coming from the side fans would push right into the intake from the bottom, more seamlessly pushing the airflow to the exhaust at the top (And theoretically should help push airflow to the rear, even though there's no fan).

I dunno. Again I just wish my damn parts would arrive so I'd stop over thinking this fan placement. I'm not sure I'm going to see a drastic difference in thermals regardless of what I go with, as I keep the AC in my gaming area tundra level cold.

@mxnty you get your rig setup yet?

mxnty

Prominent
Mar 4, 2021
Unfortunately not. Will build in ehh about 5ish days, cause I’m waiting for my screwdrivers and stuff to arrive. I’m doing intake on side and bottom and exhaust on top, I was thinking about doing a push/pull setup on the side with the radiator based on a video from The Provoked Prawn. Although, that would reduce the life of the rad so I’m second guessing it as well. Oh well, I’ll build it, test it, and provide you with temps by next Sunday 😄

mxnty

Prominent
Mar 4, 2021
Started the build around now. I’m a bit stuck. I’ve heard a push/pull setup on the AIO can be better but how do you do it? I was thinking about doing it on the side back fan mounts, but how do you screw in the fans to the back point that they work as push/pull? What extra screws would I need and would I actually benefit from this or not? Otherwise, Is push or pull better with the kraken fans?
@iBleedR3d ill keep you updated

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Custom loop rads that are 45mm thick, and higher though? Oh, sure.
Push-pull has no real cooling benefits on AIOs, unless the fans being used suck - looking at Corsair QLs, for example; every now and then, someone wants to replace their AIO fans with these. They've got no real muscle behind them.
You do get:
-more cable clutter.
-more noise above a specific rpm. With push-pull, you're supposed to run the fans at lower rpms anyway.
-more tedious to clean.

Pull only: dust collects in the easier to clean radiator, and less so in the fans.
Push only: dust collects in the fans, and less so in the radiator.

HappyTrails

Upstanding
Oct 30, 2020
I'm also not quite sure why nobody is putting a fan in the rear of that case

Would liking to do this maybe interesting see how if helps. This the old photo have flipped fans and replaced gpu with regular horizontal. GPU cards very long now had special tube bends because this. Exhaust out top and bottom was good runs cool. Missing water cooled gpu now but new 6700xt runs unexpectd cool. Good luck with new systems, water cool is fun it also expensive! :)

51030172158_01fac21035_z.jpg

Reactions: mxnty