[SOLVED] Fan Layout - Please Help

Feb 3, 2020
I am a newbie and could use advice. This build is for 3D work. I'm going to be adding a second GPU, same kind.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/renderphire/saved/CWgJf7

I'm planning to put the Kraken X62 in the front of the P600s case. The case comes with two 140mm fans installed in the front and one 140mm fan in the rear.

I'm considering adding two 140mm fans for a push pull configuration in the front. Would this mean I should remove the included front two P600s fans?

What considerations should I make for the top of the case? Or would no fans be better?

Report Edit Delete Follow comments

Solution
A fan has 2 sides. An intake/draw side and exhaust side. That's going to determine direction of flow through the fan. How you place the fan will determine direction of flow through the case.

99% of recommended case layouts is air in low front, air out high rear. So the rad will be setup as intake, the top fans as exhaust. The rad itself is an obstruction, so has 2 possible scenarios. Can either mount the fans as a push intake or a pull intake.

There's a balance to rad science concerning fans. It's the balance between Static Pressure and CFM. At lower rpm, like @ 1200 or lower, the pull from the fan has more ability than the push, so at lower rpm mounting rad fans in pull can get a free 2-4°C over push. At higher rpm, @ 1500+, there's...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Doubtful you'll get much of anything but noise from adding push/pull. Generally, with the science of today's fans, you'll get only 2-3°C on the cpu. It was only with the older fan designs where it was a fan, no real thought put into them, that saw real benefits.

Since the kraken comes with decent fans, I'd use those on the rad as either push or pull (push if using noisier performance mode, high rpm fans / pull if using silent mode, lower rpm fans) and move the factory included fans to the top.

That'll maximize airflow in a solid stream out. Use a 2-way splitter on the top fans to a singe sys_fan header, the rear exhaust by itself and the rad fans go to the pump.

Reactions: mythof
Feb 3, 2020
Rendering is heat intensive so you think setting the Kraken push configuration is a solid move? And when you say factory fans to the top do you mean they should be pushing or pulling air?

That's interesting about the added noise for small benefit and is a point I've been thinking about.

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
A fan has 2 sides. An intake/draw side and exhaust side. That's going to determine direction of flow through the fan. How you place the fan will determine direction of flow through the case.

99% of recommended case layouts is air in low front, air out high rear. So the rad will be setup as intake, the top fans as exhaust. The rad itself is an obstruction, so has 2 possible scenarios. Can either mount the fans as a push intake or a pull intake.

There's a balance to rad science concerning fans. It's the balance between Static Pressure and CFM. At lower rpm, like @ 1200 or lower, the pull from the fan has more ability than the push, so at lower rpm mounting rad fans in pull can get a free 2-4°C over push. At higher rpm, @ 1500+, there's enough SP that push reverses that and forces the CFM through the fins, gaining 2-4°C over pull.

For many, that's a moot point as rgb or space considerations take precedent over small performance gains.

Another bonus to intake/pull is unrestricted exhaust on the fan. A rad doest block air, it still moves through, but lacks much pressure and direction on the other side. With pull, the flow is in a direct shot to the gpu's, you'll get more air in their vicinity than you will if the rad is in push

Solution
Feb 3, 2020
After reviewing Karadjgne's input I’m thinking to move the two front fans the P600s comes with to the top of the case, setup as intake.

I can set the Kraken X62 up in the front with the fans set up in a push configuration.

I’ll leave the P600 rear exhaust fan as is.

If anyone has other input let me know.

Feb 3, 2020
Top fans as exhaust. Air in low, out high. Takes heat with it. If you set top fans as intake, that's a ton of air in, very little out the back as the 2x top fans will be pushing the gpu heat right back on itself.

And this is why I'm asking questions! So I'm going for two exhausts here. One with the back and the two fans in the top.