Question Fan led glows after shutdown

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
I got a question. I just replaced a new psu and while the old one did have the similar problem, when I shut down, the fan led lights turn off but then they turn on one second and then off. Is this suppose to be normal?

With my older psu, the led glowed randomly for one second after shutdown and then turns off.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post with full system hardware specs and OS information.

What was the "similar" problem and how does the current led light behavior differ from that?

What are you using, if anything, to control the fan led lights?

The key is to identify what is the expected behavior.....

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
Update your post with full system hardware specs and OS information.

What was the "similar" problem and how does the current led light behavior differ from that?

What are you using, if anything, to control the fan led lights?

The key is to identify what is the expected behavior.....

Ok

My system specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7 7700@ 3.60GHz
Kaby Lake 14nm Technology

Ram 16.0 GB Dual-Channel @ 1063MHz

Motherboard: Supermicro C7H270-CG-ML(CPU)

Graphics

ViewSonic XG2401(1920X1080@144Hz)
4095MB NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1050 Ti(ZOTAC INTERNATIONAL)

Storage

1863GB SEAGATE ST2000Dm006-2DM164(SATA)
1863GB TOSHIBA External USB 3.0 USB Device(USB(SATA))

Optical Drives

Asus DRW-24D5MT

AUDIO
Realtek High Definition Audio

The PSU I have now is Seasonic 850PX Focus+ 80 platinum rating. The older one was Corsair VS650. When I used the older one, the PC fan led would glow for one second after it has been turned off but that happened randomly and after that nothing else happens. And I've not done anything to control the fans on the PC at all.

Ralston18

Titan
I am not seeing any thing that causes me any concern.

I have noted from time to time various LED's continuing to glow after shutdown - the interim "power" maybe coming from a capacitor. Eventually the LED fades out as the power discharges.

I have noted noted any that go out and then go on again.

Still that could be the consequence of some design change - may some subtle troubleshooting tool. I.e. no "reflash" means something is broke. Or a redesign to save parts and the "reflash" was just some side effect.

About all I think of, with regards to a suggestion, is to re-read the documentation and visit the applicable manufacturer websites. Could be something about the LED flashes/possible meanings in the fine print.

Or someone else has noticed the same and posted the question via the manufacturer's website FAQs and Forums.

Last edited:

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
I am not seeing any thing that causes me any concern.

I have noted from time to time various LED's continuing to glow after shutdown - the interim "power" maybe coming from a capacitor. Eventually the LED fades out as the power discharges.

I have noted noted any that go out and then go on again.

Still that could be the consequence of some design change - may some subtle troubleshooting tool. I.e. no "reflash" means something is broke. Or a redesign to save parts and the "reflash" was just some side effect.

About all I think of, with regards to a suggestion, is to re-read the documentation and visit the applicable manufacturer websites. Could be something about the LED flashes/possible meanings in the fine print.

Or someone else has noticed the same and posted the question via the manufacturer's website FAQs and Forums.

I can't find anything that is related to the problem when I read the documentation, Can you help? https://www.supermicro.com/support/resources/results.cfm

Ralston18

Titan
Fill out the Product Resources link - Form that you provided and drill down to the document(s) relevant to your computer's specs.

Motherboard, Category, Type, Model.

Then post that link instead.

However, overall, I doubt that the change in LED pattern is a problem or even a concern.

Just a difference in behavior.

Are your fan LEDs some RGB controlled setup?

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
Fill out the Product Resources link - Form that you provided and drill down to the document(s) relevant to your computer's specs.

Motherboard, Category, Type, Model.

Then post that link instead.

However, overall, I doubt that the change in LED pattern is a problem or even a concern.

Just a difference in behavior.

Are your fan LEDs some RGB controlled setup?
Sorry for the late reply, but no they aren't controlled setup. I guess it's not an issue in the end like you said.