[SOLVED] Fan LED only lights up when cpu underload

liamwhalley20

Prominent
Nov 27, 2018
i have two red LED 120mm fans as exhaust at the top of my case, the one on the right stays brightly lit up all the time no problem, for some reason the one on the left only lights up when cpu is under load? it isn't a PWM fan it is just a cheap Game max one i got from ebay. i am using a splitter for them both as i only have 2 system fan headers and 5 fans. anybody know what this can be? the fan still works but is a little annoying as i put them up there to light up the case xD

Solution
This is because your motherboard is sensing the temperature of the CPU and adjusting how much power is supplied to the fan based on that temperature. You can change how this happens by adjusting the fan curve in the BIOS so it always supplies enough power to keep the lights on. There might even be a seperate curve for the particular connector you have the fans on, allowing you to set them differently than the CPU fan itself.

Zephyl

Commendable
Mar 13, 2017
This is because your motherboard is sensing the temperature of the CPU and adjusting how much power is supplied to the fan based on that temperature. You can change how this happens by adjusting the fan curve in the BIOS so it always supplies enough power to keep the lights on. There might even be a seperate curve for the particular connector you have the fans on, allowing you to set them differently than the CPU fan itself.

Solution