Question Fan LEDs turn on for a split second and turn off again

ashtynj

Reputable
May 7, 2016
Hi. I'm trying to fix somebody's PC for a couple bucks and I just bought a cord for it. A few days ago, it turned on just fine but I didn't have a cable that worked with the GPU (mini hdmi) so I ordered one on Amazon.

When I plugged it in today it posted and went to a screen that said the overclocking failed so I went to plug in a keyboard to enter the BIOS and it turned off in the process. I tried to turn it back on again and here we are. The back fan LED turns on for a half a second at most and there's an accompanying ringing noise of some sorts for a second or two, then nothing. I'm guessing the ringing is either the GPU's fan or a hard drive but I can't really tell. Once I hit the power button, I have to plug it back in again or flick the PSU switch off and on to do it again otherwise nothing will happen. I'm guessing this is an issue with the power supply but the motherboard indicator light is on and green at all times when the PSU is plugged in. Is there an issue with the motherboard, power supply, both, or something else? Thanks in advance.

Specs to my knowledge are:
CPU: AMD FX of some kind
Motherboard:Asus M5A9S7 R2.0
GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX 650
PSU: Corsair GS600

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS