[SOLVED] Fan makes awful noise and suddenly loses RPM and doesn't recover till restart

Mar 14, 2021
Hey,
Recently put my laptop in for repairs and got a new fan put in. About 10mins after getting it home it started to make a funny noise if my knee touches a certain bit beside the charger (left hand side) its an Asus X550v. ive checked the temperatures using speed fan and it normally runs at like 80/90, so still running hot but not as hot as it was. It vibrates slightly as well. Just a bit rubbish with hardware much better with coding and want to make sure im asking the repair guy the right questions and sound like i know what im talking about. Fan normally runs;
429497296 rpm
GPU : 77c
HD0: 36c
HD1: 40c
Temp1: 88C
Core 0: 65C
Core 1: 65C
Core 2: 65C
Core 3 : 65C

When it makes the awful noise it runs:
1617 rpm
GPU : 79c
HD0: 36c
HD1: 35c
Temp1: 83C
Core 0: 70C
Core 1: 69C
Core 2: 68C
Core 3 : 67C
Have seen it run hotter and not make the noise, sound like a helicopter taking off and vibrates. It guy did a fantastic job getting stuff off my old dead laptop and the one with the fan repair does run faster just has this weird problem. Called him about it and he said it just sounds like its running hot leave it a minute n see what it does. Have messaged him with the new details.

Any help/advice much appreciated

Solution
Sounds like the new fan might be slightly larger than the original. When you knee presses against, it might result in the fan making contact with the plastic casing/other hardware.
Also he might've accidentally lost/forgotten about a screw in there that's clonking around Lol, or a tiny piece of plastic/tape that might've broken off somewhere and got stuck.
Mar 14, 2021
Sounds like the new fan might be slightly larger than the original. When you knee presses against, it might result in the fan making contact with the plastic casing/other hardware.
Also he might've accidentally lost/forgotten about a screw in there that's clonking around Lol, or a tiny piece of plastic/tape that might've broken off somewhere and got stuck.

Reactions: Carla1997
Solution
Mar 14, 2021
even when i move my knee it doesn't stop till i restart - basically get him to open it and take another look/clean the fan again? Had the laptop back a week and its happened at least once a day. Thanks for your reply - got no clue whats reasonable to ask for when it comes to hardware repairs. If it had been a software issue i would have fixed myself but laptop has a bit of sentimental value attached to it so want to make sure it keeps running for as long as possible :) (its about 4 years old and this is its first repair

Reactions: Theojwh
Mar 14, 2021
even when i move my knee it doesn't stop till i restart - basically get him to open it and take another look/clean the fan again? Had the laptop back a week and its happened at least once a day. Thanks for your reply - got no clue whats reasonable to ask for when it comes to hardware repairs. If it had been a software issue i would have fixed myself but laptop has a bit of sentimental value attached to it so want to make sure it keeps running for as long as possible :) (its about 4 years old and this is its first repair

That's no worries, I know actually what you mean haha. And yeah, it's hard to say exactly the issue, but it definitely sounds like some sort of contact issue. Best of luck! Hopefully nothing too serious is going on with it.

Reactions: Carla1997

TRENDING THREADS