[SOLVED] Fan monitor says fan spikes to 13,000 RPMS!

dugt

Prominent
May 18, 2021
According to Argus Monitor, one of my chassis fans occasionally spikes to over 13,000 rpms!?!? It is only momentary but it happens several times per day. Is this a sign that the fan is begining to fail in some way or getting stuck? It is a 4" Corsair DC fan that is about 5 years old.

I think it is impossible for a generic chassis fan to go that fast but I suspect a mechanical failure more than an Argus Monitor software error.

Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:
Solution
There is a bad connection somewhere causing spikes in the speed signal reaching the mobo header. This could be an internal issue in the fan, and there's no way to fix that other than replacement of the fan. But you CAN try this just in case the problem is only a dirty contact where the fan plugs into the mobo header. Locate the cable and header for that fan. Carefully unplug the fan, then plug it back in again. Do this several times. Inspect around to ensure you have NOT dislodged some other item while working. Close up and turn on your system, and look at what the fan speed readings are now. You may have to run a while since this is a sporadic thing.

Second possible move: IF you have an unused SYS_FAN or CHA_FAN header you can move...

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
There is a bad connection somewhere causing spikes in the speed signal reaching the mobo header. This could be an internal issue in the fan, and there's no way to fix that other than replacement of the fan. But you CAN try this just in case the problem is only a dirty contact where the fan plugs into the mobo header. Locate the cable and header for that fan. Carefully unplug the fan, then plug it back in again. Do this several times. Inspect around to ensure you have NOT dislodged some other item while working. Close up and turn on your system, and look at what the fan speed readings are now. You may have to run a while since this is a sporadic thing.

Second possible move: IF you have an unused SYS_FAN or CHA_FAN header you can move the fan's connector to, try that.

Last edited:
Reactions: dugt
Solution

dugt

Prominent
May 18, 2021
There is a bad connection somewhere causing spikes in the speed signal reaching the mobo header. This could be an internal issue in the fan, and there's no way to fix that other than replacement of the fan. But you CAN try this just in case the problem is only a dirty contact where the fan plugs into the mobo header. Locate the cable and header for that fan. Carefully unplug the fan, then plug it back in again. Do this several times. Inspect around to ensure you have NOT dislodged some other item while working. Close up and turn on your system, and look at what the fan sped readings are now. You may have to run a while since this is a sporadic thing.

Second possible move: IF you have an unused SYS_FAN or CHA_FAN header yo can move the fan's connector to, try that.

Thanks for the recommendations.

I unplugged and replugged the connector several times and that seems to have solved the problem. If I see it spike again I will try another fan jack. If that doesn't solve the problem I will replace the fan. The future looks bright.

Last edited:

dugt

Prominent
May 18, 2021
Now I think it the fan speed spikes were/are caused by blips in Argus monitor because, after I replace one of the fans, the spiking continued. I believe the spike occur when I make a change to the Argus paramenters like minimum fan speed.

So, in summary, it really doesn't matter. The fans aren't really spiking. The fans and connections are working properly.