[SOLVED] Fan Motor And PSU Wire Proximity; Electromagnetic Interference

SteelMouse

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2013
Hello,

I have a NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 PWM fan as a bottom intake in my case. Blades pointing down, motor end up (the end with the Noctua label up, so it's pushing air into the case).

The wires from the Power Supply (Corsair HX1000i) are running right over the noctua fan motor. The wires actually touch the motor and then bend away to the back of the case for cable management via ties.

This is because the second bottom intake is right next to the power supply. The wires come out of the power supply, few cables (PCIE cables), touch the fan motor, then bend away into the routing gaps onto the back of the case.

Now the question is:

Would the PSU wires touching the fan motor cause any magnetic / other interference with the wires and damage the PSU or the motherboard? Is it completely safe to run this kind of setup?

And there is no chance for the wires to physically obstruct the fan as the 120mm fan, I am sure of that. Just need to confirm the electrical / magnetic / interference safety of the wires touching the fan motor.

Considering the fans spin up to max RPM (3000 RPM), hence max power draw at start up, there won't be any kind of interference / electrical safety issue with the wires touching the fan motor?

And when the system draws a lot of power (maybe 500Watts or more under heavy load) (the PCIE wires that touch the fan motor power the GPU: MSI RTX 3080 which has 3 PCIE power connectors), the wires touching the fan motor won't cause an issue?

Thank you for your time, I appreciate it a lot.

Solution
I think the chances of interference from that causing you problems are pretty near zero.

The magnetic fields from the currents are relatively small.

Plus....I've ran all sorts of current carrying wires that carry a lot more current than that near electronics without any headaches.

Currently I run starter testers with cables that carry 2000 amps...within about 2 feet of a dell pc ....with no problems.....and I've been doing this for more than a decade.
I think the chances of interference from that causing you problems are pretty near zero.

The magnetic fields from the currents are relatively small.

Plus....I've ran all sorts of current carrying wires that carry a lot more current than that near electronics without any headaches.

Currently I run starter testers with cables that carry 2000 amps...within about 2 feet of a dell pc ....with no problems.....and I've been doing this for more than a decade.

Solution