Question fan noise doesn't stop after gaming and trouble starting up pc

indira12ilkhaeva

Honorable
Jun 1, 2018
I made a thread on this, but I never really got it solved due to lack of time.

I have a custom rig that I got a couple years back, and it makes almost no noise, until I start up a demanding game. If I start up Witcher 3 for example, it will start to spin like crazy after a minute of having it on my screen. This also happens with lower demanding games after more time like half an hour on rocket league or something. So it is only 2 modes, either really loud or almost no noise.

The problem with this is that it doesn't stop after I close down my games, the fans keep running at the same crazy speed and keep making a lot of noise (Idk if it's all the fans). I have to restart or put the pc in sleep mode which will immediately stop the noise. I know that pcs take time cooling down but I don't think they stay at the same noise level endlessly like an hour later after you shut down the game.

As for the trouble with booting it up. it will start up normally but then take a long time to let me enter the password and when I finally do enter it sort of freezes for a minute or 10 and after a time you can like open up google (like right now) but your mouse will have like a loading icon whenever you pass by the desktop screen (loading bar and everything 'responds' albeit slow ). After a couple hours, the pc works normally again. The problem repeats when I restart or shut down the pc causing me to never shut it down and just leaving it on.

I've been to college and I left my pc here for the family at home to use, big mistake because I think there is deff some viruses on my pc causing all the problems (apart from the fan problem which I had from the beginning).

So TLDR, fan noise that is consistently either really loud or quiet but when it's loud it doesn't stop and pc has issues when you boot it up taking a lot of time and being very slow until after a couple hours when it randomly works normally again. I think a virus is at fault for the second problem.

It's really infuriating and I'm kinda stuck, so any help is appreciated.

indira12ilkhaeva

Honorable
Jun 1, 2018
Could you list your pc build parts?
did a benchmark:
UserBenchmarks: Game 104%, Desk 93%, Work 96%
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 - 86.2%
GPU: Nvidia RTX 2070S (Super) - 116.8%
SSD: Crucial P1 3D NVMe PCIe M.2 1TB - 200.7%
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB (2018) - 63.1%
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4 3600 C18 2x8GB - 91.1%
MBD: Gigabyte GA-B550M AORUS PRO
note: benchmark gave a lil warning for the hdd/ Relative performance n/a - RAM cached drive detected

indira12ilkhaeva

Honorable
Jun 1, 2018
Could you list your pc build parts?
Here are also some temps of my pc and notes after playing Heroes & Generals WWII:

BEFORE: CPU-47°C GPU-34°C or 40°C*** Mainboard-39°C Fanspeed-3890 RPM
#I also noticed that my RAM and CPU usage were practically constant while looking at the performance monitor except disk usage, it jumped from around 16 to 50 80 and 100 with the smallest tasks like opening up a new tab. I fear a faulty hard drive (or virus?).

*** (all results come from an application, except this one, this one is from task managere because gpu temp stayed the same before during and after the game, thought the application was at fault but task manager showed a constant 40°C too.)

DURING: CPU-59°C GPU-34°C or 40°C*** Mainboard-51°C Fanspeed-3913 RPM
#GPU temp doesnt change (which is not normal or is it?) and the rpm changed barely and yet the noise level difference is insane, so the noise is not from the fans (or maybe it only shows case rpm and it's the cpu cooler fan that's going crazy?)

AFTER(a good 10 mins): CPU-45°C GPU-34°C or 40°C*** Mainboard-37°C Fanspeed-3901 RPM
#noise still isn't gone, I just close off my pc at this point and open up my laptop

indira12ilkhaeva

Honorable
Jun 1, 2018
Is the fan noise coming from your cpu fan or your gpu fans? Have you run any antivirus programs? Have you tried uninstalling gpu drivers with ddu https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html then reinstall newest gpu driver? Where is your os stored on your ssd or hd? Have you checked to see if your bios needs updating?
I honestly don't know where the fan noise comes from.
Yes I ran some anti virus scans but they never seem to complete, they are also very slow for some reason, I never got any virus warning from them tho.
No I havent reinstalled any gpu driver, should I do it right after the scan?
Os is stored on my hd. Im thinking about buying a new one.
Last time I checked, almost a year ago, it didn't but ill check.

Misgar

Commendable
Mar 2, 2023
"Loud" fans.

CPU Fan noise.
The CPU cooler fan(s) are normally controlled by the motherboard BIOS.
The BIOS monitors a temperature sensor in the Ryzen 3600.
If the BIOS CPU temperature control is set to 'Auto', the CPU cooler fan(s) will run faster when the CPU is doing more work and the temperature rises.
When the CPU does less work and temperature drops, the CPU cooler fan(s) will start to slow down.
If the CPU cooler fan(s) are set to 'Manual' in the BIOS, you can set the fan speed independantly, but if they run too slow, the CPU will run hot all the time.

RTX2070 Cooler noise
Under normal circumstances, your GPU firmware will automatically vary the speed of the fans on the video card, depending on the temperature of the GPU processor chip and memory. When the GPU is working hard, the video card fan speeds will increase. You can take control of the GPU fans with software such as MSI Afterburner. Do not set the speed too low, to avoid GPU overheating.

PSU fan noise
A typical ATX PSU controls the speed of its internal fan, depending on the temperature inside the PSU. Normally you have no control over this fan speed.

Case fan noise
Your case fans may be connected to the motherboard.
If a fan comes with four wires, the motherboard BIOS can usually control the speed using PWM.
If the fan comes with only 3 wires it's more difficult to control speed, unless the motherboard supports voltage control.
If the case fans are connected directly to the power supply, you cannot control their speeds, unless you fit a speed controller unit.
To change the speed of any fans connected to the motherboard, enter the BIOS and search for the relevant fan speed settings.
You can change fan profiles to make things quieter (less cooling, more chance of overheating).
You can change fan profles to make things louder (improved cooling, greater system stability).
Check to see how the CPU cooler fan is configured in the BIOS.
Check to see how your case fans are configured the BIOS.

Games "hammer" GPUs so it's perfectly normal for fan speeds to increase to maximum when you're pushing the system really hard.

indira12ilkhaeva

Honorable
Jun 1, 2018
I would also recommend installing your os on the ssd. That way you can hopefully do two things at the same time, install fresh windows and fix the start up problem, and enjoy better performance.
5 hours later and I did the anti virus check, there were no threats detected but it did not take 20 minutes like it says. My screen went dark a couple times with my mouse doing the loading icon for tens of minutes. I'll move os to sd now.

Last edited: