xerxesaria

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2012
Hi.
I have just installed ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 2070 O8G GAMING in my new build.

After about half an hour, I noticed a faint noise from the third fan located closest to the power inlet of the gpu.
The noise is as if the fan is rubbing very lightly against something. A sort of a mild whooshing sound.

I noticed that this fan runs at normal speed, but also tends to slow down and do a start-stop kind of thing at times.

Is this normal for a big gpu with 3 fans or should I return it/rma it?
Thank you.

Solution
Hi.

After about half an hour, I noticed a faint noise from the third fan located closest to the power inlet of the gpu.
The noise is as if the fan is rubbing very lightly against something. A sort of a mild whooshing sound.

I noticed that this fan runs at normal speed, but also tends to slow down and do a start-stop kind of thing at times.

Thank you.

The GPU fans stopping and starting sound normal as they depend on your GPUs load and react to it.
The whoosing sound might just be the fan sppeding up/slowing down,

Remove your card and give the fans a tap and put it back in.
Also...

xerxesaria

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2012
Mine is pretty quiet.

What case do you have?

What’s the Max temp when running Furmark?
I guess you have bad apples in between and mine is such. I have the be quiet 500dx, which is rather quiet! All the fans in the case are also from be quiet including cpu fan.
I haven't had the pleasure of doing any testing or tweaking because just as I finished installing Windows, my psu started making noises (Corsair rm650). So I had to return it and am going to have to wait.
Thanks for your reply.

wi5pa

Distinguished
May 20, 2012
Hi.

Thank you.

The GPU fans stopping and starting sound normal as they depend on your GPUs load and react to it.

Also check there isnt a loose cable nearby the fans.

Solution

xerxesaria

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2012

Also check there isnt a loose cable nearby the fans.
I'll do that as soon as i get my psu replaced! Thank you for the suggestion. Really helpful.

xerxesaria

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2012

Check out the cooling part about the fans, they wont operate under a temp of 55c.
Pardon me, but I don't quiet understand what you mean. Could you please elaborate? I'm going to read what you sent me

wi5pa

Distinguished
May 20, 2012
No problem, under the cooling section of the link i sent you, the gpu fans wont work unless the gpu temp is over 55c,
They may stop and start if they are near that temperature but it wont be for long,
and they will be silent and look like they are not working alot of the time.

xerxesaria

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2012
No problem, under the cooling section of the link i sent you, the gpu fans wont work unless the gpu temp is over 55c,
They may stop and start if they are near that temperature but it wont be for long,
and they will be silent and look like they are not working alot of the time.
I understand now. To me it seems strange. 2 of the fans are spinning and the 3rd one has a stop-start motion. But it is the whooshing sound which makes me worried.....

xerxesaria

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2012
As said above you could get a replacement one if you still think its as problem,
or pop into a computer repair shop and ask for some further advice.
So I just did a good digging in the internet and noticed that this is actually a thing which is not talked about much "yet". It is not whooshing, but a REVVING sound. As if you are revving an engine:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30aR3QGxChI&feature=emb_logo

People in this video mostly complain about Gigabyte RTX cards doing this, but apparently, it happens with Asus too then (because of what is happening with me). And it is more common but less talked about. I think because most people talk about coil-whine, but not this.
I have understood that manufacturers ignore this and for those consumers who have gone through the RMA process for this issue, they have all been told that there is nothing wrong with their card.
If this happens on all RTX cards, then it requires to get more attention and problem solving.....

Reactions: wi5pa

wi5pa

Distinguished
May 20, 2012
Nice, I didnt know about that either, It sounds like you say, a revving noise.
It might be part of the design where the card is waiting for it to be used, as you say much like a car its waiting and revving on idle.
but also maybe not, lol.

It might be worth putting that video in a new thread and see if you get anyone with the same issue.

Solidjake

Notable
Sep 6, 2019
So I just did a good digging in the internet and noticed that this is actually a thing which is not talked about much "yet". It is not whooshing, but a REVVING sound. As if you are revving an engine:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30aR3QGxChI&feature=emb_logo

People in this video mostly complain about Gigabyte RTX cards doing this, but apparently, it happens with Asus too then (because of what is happening with me). And it is more common but less talked about. I think because most people talk about coil-whine, but not this.
I have understood that manufacturers ignore this and for those consumers who have gone through the RMA process for this issue, they have all been told that there is nothing wrong with their card.
If this happens on all RTX cards, then it requires to get more attention and problem solving.....

My Gigabyte 2070s does that. I set the min fan speed to 35% in MSI Afterburner and it's gone.

Last edited:
Reactions: wi5pa