Pointertovoid

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
Hello everybody!

I've a basic axial 50mm*50mm fan (something like Master Cooler), slow and silent, screwed on top of the cooler of a Radeon 9600xt because the original centrifugal fan within the cooler was too noisy. Works great, cool, silent, takes 2U thickness but much cheaper than extra coolers which would also take 2U. Fine.

But over time, the fan has become noisy during cold starts - it vibrates. To put it clearly: this fan has a constant speed, it's not a matter of speed regulation, but rather something like weared out bearings or grease being thickened by dirt until warming makes it thinner.

So, does someone know if and how to service the fan?

Thanks!

Pointertovoid

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
Sure! But...

Vendors would like to squeeze 5 euro (three good chocolate bars!) out of me for a fan I couldn't even listen at before paying, so I might have to buy several fans to get a silent one, that's why I check other possibilities.

More, this one isn't the first fan that has gone noisy over time - quite the same way, vibrations at cold start - so a servicing solution would be useful. (Not a matter of dust)

Standard screws... Except I've screwed them between the fins of the sink, for the 50mm fan is neither the original size (loud 30mm radial) nor in the original position. But another 50mm fan could be mounted the same way, yes.

A droplet of oil maybe, well chosen and at the right place?