[SOLVED] Fan on back of pc not working.

Mar 26, 2020
The very rear fan attached to the fan attached to the liquid cooling lines stopped spinning. First it squeaked for a while then began to slow until it ultimately stopped. Do I need a new one or can it be cleaned and if so how? If I need a new one can someone send me a link to a good one? Not super tech savvy here. Thanks in advance!

Solution
Well, almost. Virtually all the "standard" fans for cooling cases or CPU's in a computer come as 12 VDC systems, so voltage should not be an issue.

HOWEVER, there are two issues you DO need to get right in selecting a replacement. One is fan motor type: 3-pin or 4-pin. Look at the wires cming from the fan motor on your failed unit. It should have either 3 wires ending in a connector with three holes, or 4 wires and holes. Your replacement fan should have the same. In case the descriptions do not use those terms, a 3-pin fan is also called a Voltage Controlled fan, and a 4-pin one is called a PWM fan.

The other is that fans come in two different types regarding how they deal with resistance to air flow. Fans designed for very low...
The very rear fan attached to the fan attached to the liquid cooling lines stopped spinning. First it squeaked for a while then began to slow until it ultimately stopped. Do I need a new one or can it be cleaned and if so how? If I need a new one can someone send me a link to a good one? Not super tech savvy here. Thanks in advance!
If it stopped all the way it's probably burnt out by now. There are practically thousands of case fans on the market, Some of best ones are made by Arctic or Noctua. Just make sure it's same size and number of pins/wires.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Well, almost. Virtually all the "standard" fans for cooling cases or CPU's in a computer come as 12 VDC systems, so voltage should not be an issue.

HOWEVER, there are two issues you DO need to get right in selecting a replacement. One is fan motor type: 3-pin or 4-pin. Look at the wires cming from the fan motor on your failed unit. It should have either 3 wires ending in a connector with three holes, or 4 wires and holes. Your replacement fan should have the same. In case the descriptions do not use those terms, a 3-pin fan is also called a Voltage Controlled fan, and a 4-pin one is called a PWM fan.

The other is that fans come in two different types regarding how they deal with resistance to air flow. Fans designed for very low resistance to air flow are called Air Flow fans. They can blow well against little back pressure. But the system of closely-spaced fins on a heatsink of a CPU cooler or a Radiator of an AIO cooler system offers much more resistance to air flow, or "backpressure". So fans designed for this use are called Pressure Fans and can blow well even when faced with such backpressure. You will need one of this latter type for your application.

If you can tell us the maker and exact model number of the cooling system you have, OR the maker and model of the specific fan you need to replace, we can look up its specs and help you find a good replacement. We can check for the items I mention above, and also get a bit more specific about exactly how much backpressure is involved, and how much air flow you need from this unit.

Solution