Question Fan on new laptop is loud and noisy ?

donline

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2016
Hi everyone,

We recently purchased the following laptops (brand-new):
- ASUS Vivobook 16X K3605ZF
- ASUS Vivobook 16X K3605ZV (similar to above but higher spec for CPU and GPU)
(Full specs listed here: https://www.asus.com/uk/laptops/for-hom ... /techspec/)

The lower spec K3605ZF laptop runs quietly most of the time with the fan only powering up for more demanding applications (e.g. watching full HD video and multiple windows/applications open).

However, the higher spec K3605ZV laptop runs much more noisily and the fan is rarely off/idle. Even just opening up a desktop publishing application (like Writer for example) triggers the fan to come on. If I open up a couple of full HD videos the fan really kicks in.

I installed the CPU Temperature Indicator applet and the K3605ZF laptop averages around 38-40C (going up to around 60C under workload), whereas the K3605ZV laptop averages around 60C (often going up to 70C under light-medium workload).

Both laptops are running Linux Mint Cinnamon 21.3.

I was wondering is it normal and to be expected for the K3605ZV laptop to be much noisier (due to the higher-powered CPU/GPU)? Would it be the CPU or GPU that would create the extra fan usage?

Is it possible to adjust the fan profile for the laptop above within Linux Mint? I've seen something called MyASUS and Armoury Crate but I'm not even sure if these would work with this laptop (and I believe those applications only run in Windows)? I would be grateful if anyone has had experience with this and any advice to share please.

Also, the K3605ZV has an 'MUX switch' (new to me), so was wondering if that could help with the fan noise and whether this can be accessed/adjusted within Linux Mint?

The other option I have been considering would be a laptop cooling pad - might this be effective in this case? Otherwise, I'm thinking about returning the K3605ZV and looking for another laptop (if anyone has any suggestions please, I don't know if gaming laptops are generally designed to be quieter?).

Thanks very much for your help!

Since this laptop is a recent purchase I do not suggest that you undertake any repair operations. The high noise is abnormal. And, to me, noise is always an indicator of something wrong, or an early warning.

Use the warranty and let the manufacturer repair/replace, or return the laptop. If it is past return, then let them repair/replace.

donline

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2016
Since this laptop is a recent purchase I do not suggest that you undertake any repair operations. The high noise is abnormal. And, to me, noise is always an indicator of something wrong, or an early warning.

Use the warranty and let the manufacturer repair/replace, or return the laptop. If it is past return, then let them repair/replace.
Thank you Ubrales :)
Could the fan noise be due to the laptop running in Linux (Mint)?
I have tried the 14 inch model (ASUS Vivobook 14X K3405ZF) of the same laptop range and it was noisy also, so I think that's how they are. The question in my mind is how to effective adjust the fan profile (and if this were changed in Windows would it carry over to Linux Mint).

Thank you Ubrales :)
Could the fan noise be due to the laptop running in Linux (Mint)?
I have tried the 14 inch model (ASUS Vivobook 14X K3405ZF) of the same laptop range and it was noisy also, so I think that's how they are. The question in my mind is how to effective adjust the fan profile (and if this were changed in Windows would it carry over to Linux Mint).
In order to get a proper evaluation as to whether the fan noise is due to Linux, it should be compared to a similar laptop running Windows. This side by side comparison may be possible if you request the store from where you made the purchase. This is not possible for online purchases.

Changing fan speeds profiles in Windows and expecting them to work on Linux systems may work if the fan power profiles are changed, and here you may run into proprietary fan manufacturer controls. (PWM, Voltages, etc.). - May be worth a try but I don't recommend any repairs on a new laptop.

The underlying thing to keep in mind is that if the fan runs at a higher RPM it is because the CPU is heating up. Heat transfer must occur at the CPU surface, and cooling pads under the laptop have minimal effect.

My first option would be to return this to Asus (PegASUS) because it is a new purchase.

donline

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2016
In order to get a proper evaluation as to whether the fan noise is due to Linux, it should be compared to a similar laptop running Windows. This side by side comparison may be possible if you request the store from where you made the purchase. This is not possible for online purchases.

Changing fan speeds profiles in Windows and expecting them to work on Linux systems may work if the fan power profiles are changed, and here you may run into proprietary fan manufacturer controls. (PWM, Voltages, etc.). - May be worth a try but I don't recommend any repairs on a new laptop.

The underlying thing to keep in mind is that if the fan runs at a higher RPM it is because the CPU is heating up. Heat transfer must occur at the CPU surface, and cooling pads under the laptop have minimal effect.

My first option would be to return this to Asus (PegASUS) because it is a new purchase.
Thank you again Ubrales :)

Yes, it seems like the CPU is making the fan kick in. I tried limiting the frequency of the CPU using an app to see if that would help but the fan still seems to be eager to run.

We also have the less powerful model (K3605ZF) of the same laptop which has the i5 processor and RTX 2050 (compared with i7 and RTX 4060) and that laptop is much quieter (and cooler at around 45C compared with 60C). So I guess the more powerful components are making the fan work more?

Thank you again Ubrales :)

Yes, it seems like the CPU is making the fan kick in. I tried limiting the frequency of the CPU using an app to see if that would help but the fan still seems to be eager to run.

We also have the less powerful model (K3605ZF) of the same laptop which has the i5 processor and RTX 2050 (compared with i7 and RTX 4060) and that laptop is much quieter (and cooler at around 45C compared with 60C). So I guess the more powerful components are making the fan work more?
Yes, higher performance components (i7 Vs i5) will draw more power from the PSU and produce more heat. This heat has to be dissipated; by the cooler and the fan. The Graphics card will also add to the heat load. It might be that the cooling provided by Asus is inadequate under these conditions, and hence makes the fan run faster; not good.

Asus should provide the solution if any, to this situation. To me, abnormal noise is an early warning.

Another thought comes to mind. The i7 is a powerful processor and produces a good amount of heat. The heatsink and the thermal compound must be assembled correctly. Was there a problem on the (laptop) assembly line? Even a slight deviation will make a big negative difference