Fan placememt for best airflow?

Skpstr

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2013
I just built a new system, and am unsure about placing my last fan. I have a 120mm fan at bottom front and top rear. (pulling from the front)

My video card is in the top PCI slot, but with the size of it and the location, it seems that it is hindering the airflow from getting above it to the CPU. If I put the card in the bottom slot, the dual fans (venting down) are less than an inch above the bottom-mounted PSU.

When I run it with the side panel on, the CPU gets too hot, and even with the panel off, it's hotter than I would like. So I got a Hyper 212 Evo and an extra fan.

I have 2 questions, first, should I have the fan on the cooler pushing or pulling air? Second, where should I put the last fan? If I mount it on the top slot on the side panel, it looks lile it will blow half above and half below the GPU. If I put it in the bottom slot, it will blow completelly under the GPU. Or would it be best to mount it on the cooler , so it would have 2 fans? Also, if 2 fans on the cooler is the best way, should the stronger fan (if there is ine) be pushing or pulling?

Solution
Cooler fan should be pushing (default config)
A second fan on that cooler doesn't really add anything.
Rear fan blowing out

What temps are you getting under load?

Skpstr

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2013
The CPU is an FX-6300, and playing World of Tanks (CPU-imtensive, only uses 1 core) I get 63° with the side panel on, 57° with it off. I did have an issue with the thermal paste when I put it together a couple weeks ago, but I wasn't too worried, since it was running (with the side off) at an acceptable temp and I knew I was getting the cooler and would have to redo it anyway.