Question Fan placement

Skpstr

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2013
Hi all, just placing fans in my new build, and am just wondering how best to place fans.

My case is a Riotoro CR480, and has a front intake and rear exhaust, plus a bottom mount and two top mounts. (there might be a second front mount, but I didn't bother to check, because the 3.5" drive bay is there, and the drives mount vertically, so would all but completely block it)

I was thinking about putting an additional intake in the bottom, and two exhausts up top. Is 2 intake and 3 exhaust ok, or should I leave one top mount empty?

Alternatively, should I adjust the fan speed on the 2 top fans downward so they pull less air?

Skpstr

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2013
Add 2 exhaust to the top , none in the bottom.

So just to clarify, 1 intake and 3 exhausts? Not to doubt you, but I was sure I read on here that you want more intake than exhaust.

It works for me though, that way I can install 2 LED fans on top, and 1 in the front, (bought a 3-pack) and not have to reinstall the front fan in the bottom. (esp. since there's no dust filter there)

iMatty

Reputable
Mar 14, 2019
Both should be equal to each other, you can't just put too much exhaust and 1 intake, that wont work it wont create a positive pressure in your case.

You can put 2 intake at medium speed and 1 exhaust and around 1200 RPM in the top that should work, as i did that to my case and my temps are pretty cold.