[SOLVED] Fan Placement

Nov 9, 2020
I have a case with three fans on the front taking in fresh air. I have an exhaust fan on the back blowing out of the case. I have one fan on the bottom and two AIO fans on top. What direction should they go? I was thinking bottom fan drawing air into the case. And I have heard AIO fans work better when drawing in fresh air from outside the case so have them drawing air in as well. That would leave just one exhaust fan in the back. Would anyone set up differently?

Solution
I appreciate everyones input. I had heard the cooler is more efficient cooling the radiator drawing in cool outside air rather than blowing warm inside case air across it. I also know top fans should be vents to exhaust hot air so wondering which of the two setups is best overall given either way its not ideal
That is true, but the warm air rises thing applies when there is no external interference, aka, a fan; they easily overpower the natural order of things.

In certain setups, top intake can even be better than top exhaust... this doesn't look like one of those setups though.
It doesn't hurt to test nonetheless.
I have a case with three fans on the front taking in fresh air. I have an exhaust fan on the back blowing out of the case. I have one fan on the bottom and two AIO fans on top. What direction should they go? I was thinking bottom fan drawing air into the case. And I have heard AIO fans work better when drawing in fresh air from outside the case so have them drawing air in as well. That would leave just one exhaust fan in the back. Would anyone set up differently?
I think you got it right. I have built many systems and that configuration has the best balance.

The 3 fans on the from and the one at the bottom should be intake fans getting fresh air into the case.
The AIO fans on top and the rear fan should exhaust the heat out of the case.

If you place the the AIO in front to draw fresh air, then the CPU will run a bit cooler. If you have a GPU, it might run hotter unless you place more fans on top to exhaust warm air.

Nov 9, 2020
I am waiting for one of the new AMD GPU's. Hopefully the 6800XT. I pre ordered the new Ryzen 9 5900x so they will work well together. The case is

Corsair Crystal Series 680X RGB High Airflow Tempered Glass ATX Smart Case, Black

Nov 9, 2020
I think you got it right. I have built many systems and that configuration has the best balance.

The 3 fans on the from and the one at the bottom should be intake fans getting fresh air into the case.
The AIO fans on top and the rear fan should exhaust the heat out of the case.

If you place the the AIO in front to draw fresh air, then the CPU will run a bit cooler. If you have a GPU, it might run hotter unless you place more fans on top to exhaust warm air.
I think you mis read. I have the top AIO fans bringing in fresh air across the radiator. Not blowing out.

Nov 9, 2020
I appreciate everyones input. I had heard the cooler is more efficient cooling the radiator drawing in cool outside air rather than blowing warm inside case air across it. I also know top fans should be vents to exhaust hot air so wondering which of the two setups is best overall given either way its not ideal

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
That is true, but the warm air rises thing applies when there is no external interference, aka, a fan; they easily overpower the natural order of things.

In certain setups, top intake can even be better than top exhaust... this doesn't look like one of those setups though.
It doesn't hurt to test nonetheless.

Solution