Fan placements for best airflow

Seb3n

Reputable
Apr 30, 2014
I bought 4 high air flow fans, and I am wondering where to put them, let me know how you would have done i my situation, or where you would recommend me to place the fans.
Here are my options for placements in my case, though I only have 4 fans:
2 Top placements.
2 Front (1 fan have have plastic JUST in front of it, so I am wondering if that will make it useless?)
1 Bottom.
1 Back (no wall behinde it or anything)
all except the 'back' have mesh filters, to filter dust.

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Rule of thumb - all fans on front and/or bottom use as intake- and any rear/top fans as exhaust. Imagine pulling fresh cool air in through the intakes -and the exhaust naturally pushing heat out back and/or rear. This is what you want.

MrKrako

Respectable
Apr 17, 2016
1-Back pushing air away (no need of dust filters beause is pushing air out of the case)
1-Front pulling air inside the case
1-Top pushing air out of the case
1-Bottom pulling air inside the case

You can even put two of them pushing hot air outside of the case in the top, instead of 1 bottom-1top. That would create negative pressure inside your case that would suck in "fresh" air. That's up to you, both are good configurations in my opinion.

NerdIT

Distinguished

I agree -but the setup you are proposing is positive pressure.. easy way to think is if all fans were exhaust -that would be a super negative pressure setup. If you have all side but the back (and maybe top) that is positive pressure forcing the heat back/up. Remember heat rises naturally. I would run back and top as exhaust -and anything else as intake.

Seb3n

Reputable
Apr 30, 2014

That was my thought originally, but would 3 cm be enough for it to bring in a decent amount of air?

With 4 fans, you're going to get good cooling no matter what you do. I would probably go with 2 front intakes, 1 rear exhaust, and 1 rear roof exhaust to get the best CPU cooling since the GPU cooling is about the same in all configurations which do not use a side fan. However, if you want a quieter build, then go with 2 fronts, 1 rear exhaust, and 1 floor intake.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2012/02/10/the-big-cooling-investigation/7

MrKrako

Respectable
Apr 17, 2016

That's what i said. 2 intakes (front and bottom) and 2 exhausts (back and top). What i suggested, as an option was: 1 intake (front) and 3 exhausts (1 back and 2 top). That creates negative pressure without a doubt. Sorry if i didn't manage to make my point clear.

Seb3n

Reputable
Apr 30, 2014

When you say 2 front intake, do you also mean the one with plastic in front of it?

NerdIT

Distinguished
Rule of thumb - all fans on front and/or bottom use as intake- and any rear/top fans as exhaust. Imagine pulling fresh cool air in through the intakes -and the exhaust naturally pushing heat out back and/or rear. This is what you want.

Solution
Mar 31, 2018
Hey I also have 4 fans. Is my placement good?

2 in the front sucking fresh air
1 in the back blowing hot air out
1 in the top blowing hot air out. I have 2 spots where I could put the top one. Should I put it in the top back or top front?