[SOLVED] Fan Position?

chenjohn274

Reputable
Feb 20, 2020
I have a ASUS OEM Desktop. There is only room for ONE fan which is near the I/O shield. Which position should I place the fan, air blowing INTO the inside the case OR drawing the air OUT of the case?

Solution
I don't have anything that can take pictures...
are you the only person left on this planet without a cellphone?
so why can't you just post the make/model of the case, or a link to the manufacturer's product page, or even the retailer's product page where you purchased it?

you will need to be sure what size fans this case will fit and how many slots it has available.
you will want to find something with a higher RPM,
a good amount of air flow; (m³/h),
a lower noise level; dB(A),
and the correct power connector depending on your motherboard's fan ports; 3-Pin or 4-Pin.

...Would increasing the fans RPM be helpful?
of course increasing the RPM would increase the airflow, if it is a PWM fan.
but unless it is a higher quality...

sdedu77

Respectable
Dec 9, 2018
It should blow air OUT of the case.
Does the case also have an intake fan? Ideally, you want one intake and one exhaust for optimal airflow; still, one in the back is enough for a low power system (no oc, preferrably low wattage graphics card if any).

chenjohn274

Reputable
Feb 20, 2020
It should blow air OUT of the case.
Does the case also have an intake fan? Ideally, you want one intake and one exhaust for optimal airflow; still, one in the back is enough for a low power system (no oc, preferrably low wattage graphics card if any).
The only fan is the CPU fan. Do I have to get a high performance fan since I'm using only one?

sdedu77

Respectable
Dec 9, 2018
Do I have to get a high performance fan since I'm using only one?
Not necessarily. If the front panel allows air to pass easily, pretty much any fan can do the job just fine. If it's more restricted, consider a static pressure optimized one.
It all comes down to your case. Would be helpful if you post a link/image(s) of the front panel and/or inside of the case (to see if it's possible to even install one).
Also, make sure there are enough fan ports on the motherboard (if not, fan splitters are cheap).
Not that if you have a low power computer (no graphics cards and low to mid-end cpu), you might get away with just cooler and ehaust fans.

chenjohn274

Reputable
Feb 20, 2020
Not necessarily. If the front panel allows air to pass easily, pretty much any fan can do the job just fine. If it's more restricted, consider a static pressure optimized one.
It all comes down to your case. Would be helpful if you post a link/image(s) of the front panel and/or inside of the case (to see if it's possible to even install one).
Also, make sure there are enough fan ports on the motherboard (if not, fan splitters are cheap).
Not that if you have a low power computer (no graphics cards and low to mid-end cpu), you might get away with just cooler and ehaust fans.
I don't have anything that can take pictures. Would increasing the fans RPM be helpful?

I don't have anything that can take pictures...
so why can't you just post the make/model of the case, or a link to the manufacturer's product page, or even the retailer's product page where you purchased it?

you will need to be sure what size fans this case will fit and how many slots it has available.
and the correct power connector depending on your motherboard's fan ports; 3-Pin or 4-Pin.

...Would increasing the fans RPM be helpful?
but unless it is a higher quality fan, this will usually also increase the noise produced drastically.

Solution

chenjohn274

Reputable
Feb 20, 2020

but unless it is a higher quality fan, this will usually also increase the noise produced drastically.
Thankyou for replying. :D The fan port size is 80 by 80. What fans would you recommend?

sdedu77

Respectable
Dec 9, 2018
Since you mentioned you have a prebuild, you should be able to find the model from within Windows (assuming that's the os you are running).
Search for "dxdiag" (without the quotes) and open it. It should list the make and model.