[SOLVED] fan position

Solution
Neither is good at all.
You want to concentrate on getting fresh air INTO the case.

The front fans should be intakes.
All of the fresh air that enters the system will eventually exit somewhere, taking component heat with it.

I would have a exhaust fan in the rear, and no top fans.
That would be best for an air cooler.

If you want an aio cooler, you have a catch 22 issue on where to mount the radiator.

Mounted in front, the cpu is cooled best, but the motherboard and graphics get heated cpu air to work with.

If you mount on top as exhaust, the cpu gets warm case air and the cpu is not cooled as well.
Pick your poison.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
if the front fan blowing in wont it blowing in hot air from the radiator?
It's not even that bad, especially if the front intake liquid cooler is on the cpu.
Depending on the model of the gpu though, the gpu is the bigger 'threat' to system cooling anyway - going by your previous posts, the parts are a 5950X and 3090?
Imagine the heat from a cpu that seldom pushes 190w of power, even at full load, makes its way into the 3090's cooler, Vs...
The heat from a 400-450w gpu making it's way into the cpu cooler...
Energy usage becomes heat, and the cpu is far more efficient here.
It looks so backwards when many users install AIOs/CLCs on the cpu, and leave the gpu hanging when in a number of situations it can draw up to 2-3 times more power.

But, if this is for custom liquid as previously mentioned in your earlier posts, you don't really have to follow the general recommendation of 'front-bottom intake, rear-top exhaust'.
Custom liquid doesn't follow quite the same 'rules' as conventional air and hybrid cooling; you can orient the fans almost any way you wanted with a smaller penalty than the more conventional methods.
If you only wanted to see the 'nicer' side of your fans, custom liquid has an edge there.

It's important that you mention all your hardware, and what you're going to do with it. As I just mentioned, custom liquid doesn't follow the same rules as air and hybrid, so the answer/result is different.

Short version: If those diagrams are for custom liquid, it shouldn't matter too much which you do.
Although...
#1 is a bit awkward. There's a filter in an area that doesn't need it(the front panel), and you might even have to put a makeshift filter over the rear PCIe slot/grille area.
#2 should be more effective - and not awkward - with the front flipped to intake. Put a filter behind the lonely fan though.

Last edited:
Neither is good at all.
You want to concentrate on getting fresh air INTO the case.

The front fans should be intakes.
All of the fresh air that enters the system will eventually exit somewhere, taking component heat with it.

I would have a exhaust fan in the rear, and no top fans.
That would be best for an air cooler.

If you want an aio cooler, you have a catch 22 issue on where to mount the radiator.

Mounted in front, the cpu is cooled best, but the motherboard and graphics get heated cpu air to work with.

If you mount on top as exhaust, the cpu gets warm case air and the cpu is not cooled as well.
Pick your poison.

Solution

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I agree mostly with geofelt above, but will add thoughts.

Both your proposals are poor for one particular reason. What goes in must come out. So you really should have close to a balance of air intake and air exhaust fans, which your drawings do not. Beyond that, many suggest (as do I) that the near-balance should be biased to have slightly more intake than exhaust, AND that includes using dust filters on all the intakes. All cases have air leakage points. With a small excess of intake (also termed "positive pressure", although the pressure involved is really minimal), you ensure that the direction of air leakage is from inside to out, thus preventing dusty outside air from entering at the leak points.

Doing this gets a little tricky because fan air flow ratings are given for unimpeded fans. However, the rads on a AIO cooler system, and the dust filters in front of the rad/fan assembly, both reduce the fans' airflow from the specs. So if you try to design net small imbalance based solely on number of fans, or even on calculated air flow from the specs, you can't get the right answer because the filtered intakes actually do not deliver the rated flows. As a first stab at dealing with this, you can try to use one LESS exhaust fan. So in your case, three intakes on a front AIO rad with dust filters in front of the rad, and only two (or maybe three) exhaust fans top and rear. Better yet, mount the rad at the top as an exhaust fan system with no dust filters, and place three intake fans with no rad but with dust filters at the front. Maybe the rad fans' capacity is reduced by the rads more than the impact of the dust filters on the front intake fans, getting you close to balance even though you'd have four exhaust to three intake. FURTHER, in this last option, IF you can mount at the front larger fans (say, 140 mm instead of 120) that have more air flow capacity ratings, you can get even better net flow balance.

As far as air temperatures go, many advise putting the rad at the front as intake so that the air going though the rad is room air. That is cooler than air from inside the case, which would be the situation for a top-mounted rad as exhaust. The counter-argument is that a front intake rad pre-heats the air entering the case for case cooling, even though it may be better for CPU cooling. I believe BOTH of those arguments ignores the fact that the actual operating temperature of an AIO rad (and hence the actual temperature rise of the air passing though the rad) is REALLY small - a degree or two at most - and has very little impact on ability to do the rad's job or to cool the case. This is especially the case when you have lots of fans (you plan six or seven) working to cool your system. So I would ignore those two concerns about which is the best place to locate the rad.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Yes, that would be a good arrangement. Which rad goes where may not matter, and maybe you don't have a choice when you see the lengths of the hoses and pump placements. IF you have freedom to choose, look closely at the specs of the fans on each system. Try placing the system with higher max air flow as the front intake.

richard203

Distinguished
May 28, 2015
Yes, that would be a good arrangement. Which rad goes where may not matter, and maybe you don't have a choice when you see the lengths of the hoses and pump placements. IF you have freedom to choose, look closely at the specs of the fans on each system. Try placing the system with higher max air flow as the front intake.

its gonna be a custom water cooling system not a aio, so im using all noc fan. this is what ima install on my pc

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C5VG64V/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Noctua makes great fans, and those particular ones are well suited to your uses. One small note FYI. Noctua ships their fans with little devices called LNA's (Low Noise Adapters) that you can insert into the power supply cable to each fan. They are simple resistors that reduce the Voltage supplied (and hence the fan speed, noise, and air flow). They are useful IF you conect the fan directly to the PSU for a fixed 12 VDC supply, but want the fans to run slower than full speed. Do NOT use them when you have the fans connected to a power source that DOES do its own speed control (e.g, a mobo header or a fan controller) because all they will do is interfere and limit the max cooling they can deliver.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
As far as performance of the fan/rad combo is concerned, whether the fan pushes air through from the front or sucks air through from the back makes little to no difference at least for this fan type. What is likely to be more important is HOW you can mount. Many systems make it easy to fasten the rad to the inside of the case front, and the fans to the back side of the rad (as suction), but much more difficult to do it the other way.

richard203

Distinguished
May 28, 2015
Yes, for front intake mounting.

so i just test fit everything the bad part is if i do fan on back of rad i cant mount the resvior/pump to the rad. the good news is that my case let me do front fan in front of rad, that position give me more the option to mount my resvior/pump to my rad. my worry is there wont be any temp difference right? like u guys suggest my front fan is intake just that i mounted the fan in front of the rad. I changed the fan to Corsair LL Series LL120 RGB to light up the front case instead of using noctuc fan. i ordered some dust filter for the front fan dont know if i ned it. let me know thanks

Last edited:

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
That's a good arrangement. Just a note as you assemble. On every fan on the outside of the frame there usually are two arrows. One points around the fan to show the direction of rotation. The other points through the fan to show air flow direction. Make sure the front fans are mounted to blow the air through the rad.

Yes, you should have dust filters in front of the front intake rad fans. Your case may already have such filters built into its front panel, so check carefully.

richard203

Distinguished
May 28, 2015
That's a good arrangement. Just a note as you assemble. On every fan on the outside of the frame there usually are two arrows. One points around the fan to show the direction of rotation. The other points through the fan to show air flow direction. Make sure the front fans are mounted to blow the air through the rad.

Yes, you should have dust filters in front of the front intake rad fans. Your case may already have such filters built into its front panel, so check carefully.

the direction of rotation dont matter much right? the only real matter is the direction where its blowing right? the lanli cool ii mesh doesnt have dust filter in the front.

richard203

Distinguished
May 28, 2015
Right - direction of air flow is the only important thing.

The web page for that case says in its specs (at bottom) that it comes with two magnetic dust filters, one each for front and top.

the spec say this for me, mybe you looking at the wrong case? its lanli cool ii mesh
Dust Filters1 x Top (magnetic), 1 x Bottom (tray)

nvm ima change bak to noc fan for more functional than look. lol

Last edited: