Question Fan randomly stops

lrot123

Prominent
Jan 1, 2019
Hello. So I recently changed my motherboard and just realized my fan (The fan is a 3 pin) wasn’t working. I realized I had it plugged into the wrong place, so I changed it to the correct spot (I believe). The spot is called CHA_Fan1 (4 pin) I plugged it in there and it started to spin for a few seconds when I booted it up, then it just stops. I have an AsRock B350 Pro4. On my old motherboard (GA-78LMTUSB3.0) the fan was plugged into a spot called SYS_Fan (4 pin) and I believed it worked then.

lrot123

Prominent
Jan 1, 2019
I have a video to show what it does if you guys would like to see it. I cannot upload it to here though so please message if you would like to. Thank you!

CPU_Fan connector on the MB is where CPU cooler should be connected to.
Now, there are two types of fan connections according to how their speed is controlled.
3 pin fans are controlled by varying voltage
4pin fans by PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) that sends short or longer pulses to a fan, evectivly turning it on and off in rapid succession. Therefore, if 3pin fan is connected to 4pin header, that must be set to Voltage fan speed control. That has to be set in BIOS. Look at MB manual to see where it is.

lrot123

Prominent
Jan 1, 2019
CPU_Fan connector on the MB is where CPU cooler should be connected to.
Now, there are two types of fan connections according to how their speed is controlled.
3 pin fans are controlled by varying voltage
4pin fans by PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) that sends short or longer pulses to a fan, evectivly turning it on and off in rapid succession. Therefore, if 3pin fan is connected to 4pin header, that must be set to Voltage fan speed control. That has to be set in BIOS. Look at MB manual to see where it is.
Can you reply to my PM please?