NotSteve

Honorable
Oct 9, 2016
Hey everyone,

Currently on the market for some new fans, however I'm seeing lots about decibels and CFM, etc. Am i right in saying that the more CFM the louder they are.

I currently have the fans listed below. Does anyone have any recommendations for RGB fans that are quieter or the same as these (preferably quieter as these ones do get pretty loud) and with good/better cooling capabilities.

The ones below say they're at a max of 20dBA but I don't think this can be right because I find them quite loud and if this was true then even at max rpm shouldn't they be barely above a whisper? On the CoolerMaster website it reads the following about my current fans:
FAN SPEED 650-1300 RPM ± 10%
FAN AIR FLOW 42.7 CFM
FAN AIR PRESSURE 0.96mmH2O
FAN NOISE LEVEL 6 - 20 dBA.

Current fans: (I have 4 of these)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06ZZVLWJ3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.coolermaster.com/catalo...asterfan-pro-120-ab-rgb-3in1-with-controller/

Fans I'm currently looking at: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07H4NYFVG/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza?th=1
https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/coolers/case-fan/masterfan-mf120r-argb-3in1/#Specifications

These ones say 31dBA, is this max decibels or what its at all the time? If they go to 31dBA and my current ones are actually at 20dBA, which I doubt they are that low, then I don't wanna be getting these really.

Sorry for all the questions, I just really want to understand the main things before I start shelling out money! Thanks for any replies/answers :)

Solution
Fans are rated in an open chamber, not attached to anything.
When mounted in a case everything changes. slight vibrations get amplified by the case metal.
Perforated fan grills cause all kinds of things to happen.
As an example ,when I mounted fans in my old CM HAF912 case the side has a honeycomb perforated fan mount. Ungodly noise, thought I got a bad fan, so changed it with an extra and planned on returning it. Some thing with second fan.Awful noise. But 2 new fans bad????
So after a little playing around I found that if I mount it 1/2 inch or more away from the honeycomb design ,no noise. So I took an old fan and cut the motor strut mounts. This left just the outer frame of the fan. Took 4 zip ties and mounted the frame to new fan...

NotSteve

Honorable
Oct 9, 2016
For the most part cheap fans with high RPMs will be noisy.
31dBa is rated @full rpm, if run slower noise is less, but airflow is less also.
Any idea what my current fans are actually rated at? The 20dba its listed at just doesnt seem right to me. I've also been seeing some thermaltake ones around rated at 25dba so I might have a look into those.

As i understand it CFM isnt everything then? A lower CFM fan could do just as well if I have 4 of them in my case like I plan to?

When mounted in a case everything changes. slight vibrations get amplified by the case metal.
As an example ,when I mounted fans in my old CM HAF912 case the side has a honeycomb perforated fan mount. Ungodly noise, thought I got a bad fan, so changed it with an extra and planned on returning it. Some thing with second fan.Awful noise. But 2 new fans bad????
So after a little playing around I found that if I mount it 1/2 inch or more away from the honeycomb design ,no noise. So I took an old fan and cut the motor strut mounts. This left just the outer frame of the fan. Took 4 zip ties and mounted the frame to new fan and installed it with screws to side panel. No more noise.

Your current fans are rated at 6dBa@650 rpm and 20dBa@1300 rpm 42.7 CFM max.
The fans you are looking at are 6dBa@650 rpm and 31dBa@2200rpm 59 CFM max.
Same fan ,higher RPM and dBa.
If you don't have to have RGB look at Aerocool Shark or Noctua fans.

Reactions: NotSteve
Solution

NotSteve

Honorable
Oct 9, 2016
So after a little playing around I found that if I mount it 1/2 inch or more away from the honeycomb design ,no noise. So I took an old fan and cut the motor strut mounts. This left just the outer frame of the fan. Took 4 zip ties and mounted the frame to new fan and installed it with screws to side panel. No more noise.

Thanks for this! I have a better understanding of what I'm looking at because of this reply

NotSteve

Honorable
Oct 9, 2016

If they're the same fan I'll be able to plug and play right? The cables will all be the same so its just a matter of taking my old ones out and mounting these? If so I'll probably go for these ones. Thank you for your help:)