[SOLVED] Fan removal

jmakul

Prominent
Sep 30, 2020
Tomorrow I will be removing intel stock fan for first time in 3 years (i know its bad to wait so long)
Since thermal paste will be rock hard can you give me some tips to remove the fan without damaging everything?

Solution
  1. Run the computer for a few minutes to let the CPU heat up and heat up the thermal paste.
  2. Shut down, unplug, and power cycle the PC.
  3. Unclip all pins and cables from the Intel stock cooler securing the cooler to the motherboard.
  4. Gently wiggle/twist the cooler back and forth whilst gradually pulling up until it comes loose.
Most importantly, don't just yank it upwards and rip the CPU out of the socket...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
  1. Run the computer for a few minutes to let the CPU heat up and heat up the thermal paste.
  2. Shut down, unplug, and power cycle the PC.
  3. Unclip all pins and cables from the Intel stock cooler securing the cooler to the motherboard.
  4. Gently wiggle/twist the cooler back and forth whilst gradually pulling up until it comes loose.
Most importantly, don't just yank it upwards and rip the CPU out of the socket...

Last edited:
Reactions: jasonf2 and jmakul
Solution

dimtodim

Reputable
Tomorrow I will be removing intel stock fan for first time in 3 years (i know its bad to wait so long)
Since thermal paste will be rock hard can you give me some tips to remove the fan without damaging everything?
i dont remove my cpu cooler 7 years...fists just gently spin cpu cooler left and right and after that pull up

jasonf2

Distinguished
If your thermal paste was of good quality I think you will be surprised how soft it still is. Just make sure to clean it really well and reapply new paste every time you set the cooler. It doesn't matter if you pull it ten minutes after application. I generally wipe the big stuff with a rag and then finish with a rag dabbed with rubbing alcohol. Let it dry before you reapply and you will be good to go. As mentioned be gentle and use a slight twisting motion
and you should be good.

RyzenNoob

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
I would just wiggle the heatsink around to see if it comes off easily

Thermal paste don't normally go rock hard. I had to remove my heatsink because I was transporting my pc. I had nothing to stop the heatsink coming loose during the transportation, other than the screws and plate. I was scared that any bumps to the PC would do serious damage to the motherboard