[SOLVED] Fan running no Display old Lenovo PC

NewbieATbuildingpc

Commendable
Mar 5, 2019
so i just gotten an old Lenovo ThinkCentre(core 2 duo,2gb ram,no gpu) for free and i was thinking i can make some money by upgrading it to 4gb ram and core 2 quad i have lying around which it should support but before i can do that,this old computer cant even boot into bios or give any display signal.

ive plugged the HDD into another pc and determine that it wasnt corrupted, i can move file around. i also have removed the cmos battery and reinsert it, nothing happen. i really dont know what is wrong with this pc, i know it does not have a gpu or igpu but it should at least give me some warning messages right? not blank screen.

Solution
so i just gotten an old Lenovo ThinkCentre(core 2 duo,2gb ram,no gpu) for free and i was thinking i can make some money by upgrading it to 4gb ram and core 2 quad i have lying around which it should support but before i can do that,this old computer cant even boot into bios or give any display signal.

ive plugged the HDD into another pc and determine that it wasnt corrupted, i can move file around. i also have removed the cmos battery and reinsert it, nothing happen. i really dont know what is wrong with this pc, i know it does not have a gpu or igpu but it should at least give me some warning messages right? not blank screen.

If there is no gpu or igpu then how would the signal be sent to the monitor to give you a warning...

If there is no gpu or igpu then how would the signal be sent to the monitor to give you a warning message though?

Other than testing each piece of hardware in another build trying to narrow down the culprit, I would have to guess its because there is nothing sending a signal to the screen. If you have a old gpu, or igpu laying around thats compatible with the pc, try putting it in see what happens. Worse, same thing happens and no signal, best, it works.

I just have to go with the obvious here though, nothing is sending out a video signal from the pc.

Solution

NewbieATbuildingpc

Commendable
Mar 5, 2019
from what ive heard is that motherboard usually have basic gpu but its usually lowest of the lowest and its only job is to install gpu driver. it should at least boot to bios. i will try that putting in Dedicated gpu, already ordered cheap old amd gpu.