Fan separated from rest of assembly

dakeeper

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
Recently the fan (just the fan part) from my GPU separated from the magnetic coils/assembly.

To fix it, I tried to just line up the ridges and brute force the fan back on, but that didn't work. The hole is cross shaped (like one of those square crosses), and its oiled up and everything. I just can't force it in. Two really small rubber washers are still there.

The most oblivious way seems to be just shove it back on, but I put a lot of pressure when doing that and it didn't work. I want to make sure I'm not destroying my fan before doing it again. Has anyone had this happen to them before, or have a better way to put the fan back on?

I'll update later with pictures if needed (I'm not at home at the moment).

most times the screws and washers are on top of the fan..keeping the fan mounted to the gpu or cpu. if there are four screws i would see if they go into the back of the pcb. see if there clipped in or held in by a screw. if there held in by a screw i would take the heat sink off from the back and see if the screws dont fall past the fan. if they do it rma time if the card under warranty. if it not you may have to look at a new gpu heat sink with fan.

dakeeper

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
Not under warranty :<

And to clarify, by "fan" I meant the single piece of fan. Just the blades+central piece holding the blades together.

Thanks for the replies

if you look on new egg or online if you google the make of your vidoe card and heat sinks you should be able to find an after market replacement. you just have to unscrew the old heat sink and then wipe the old thermal paste off then put a new layer on and the heat sink and you should be fine.

dakeeper

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
Err. I'll post the pictures asap. But, what I mean is that the blade part detached from the fan assembly.

If I found a way to reattach the blade part to the rest of the fan it would work.

The blade+central piece attaches to a nub, which is surrounded by magnetic coils. I'll just get the pictures up.