Fan Set Up on DeepCool Captain 240 ex White

JamesHongKong

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013
Hi all,

I'm thinking about getting the Deepcool Captain 240 ex cooler for my system. I would also plan to get the Corsair 760T Arctic White case.

I know I can install a 240mm radiator in the top of this case but I was wondering how I should configure the fans for it? It comes with two 120mm fans and I assume they blow air through the radiator and out of the top. Would this be the best way to set it up? Would it be worth getting two further 120mm fans to install on the other side of the radiator and if so I assume these should pull air out of the top?

Slightly off topic, does anyone know of a place to sort custom dust filters, either specifically for this case or in general for cases?

Many thanks

James

Solution
Very slight difference in temperature as far as Push vs Pull setup. The main advantage of a Pull setup is lesser dust build-up in the radiator as compared to Push. Aesthetically, some people want to show off their fans in Push (especially if it has got LEDs and all), while some people want the cleaner look of the flat radiator with their fans concealed on the other side in Pull. Both setups perform 1C or 2C difference (depending on the overall airflow in the chassis). However, in both setups, noise would slightly be an issue once the fans perform at full load.

Now, for Push AND Pull setup, you slightly get the best (and worst) of both worlds. The main advantage is noise reduction as you can get the same amount of air flow at...
Very slight difference in temperature as far as Push vs Pull setup. The main advantage of a Pull setup is lesser dust build-up in the radiator as compared to Push. Aesthetically, some people want to show off their fans in Push (especially if it has got LEDs and all), while some people want the cleaner look of the flat radiator with their fans concealed on the other side in Pull. Both setups perform 1C or 2C difference (depending on the overall airflow in the chassis). However, in both setups, noise would slightly be an issue once the fans perform at full load.

Now, for Push AND Pull setup, you slightly get the best (and worst) of both worlds. The main advantage is noise reduction as you can get the same amount of air flow at greater pressure with reduced RPM (since you are using 4 slower spinning fans in all compared to 2 faster spinning fans). Dust build-up at the underside of the rad would be an issue like the Push setup, so, you would have to dismantle the push fans at the underside for rad cleaning. There is also a possible issue on height/thickness clearance from the fans+rad+fans to the motherboard (if you have a tight chassis) as Fan@25mm + Rad@27mm + Fan@25mm = 77mm total thickness. You have to measure this yourself in the 760T as some users claim they encounter obstructions in the MB's ATX12V socket and/or some shrouds. Hence, it might be logical if you plan to do a Push/Pull setup to hold back on buying the extra sets of fans before you have personally measured (using the 2 included fans of the AIO) on how thick the actual Push/Pull setup would be against your 760T.

Solution