[SOLVED] Fan speed maxes out randomly on Asus RX 580 ?

ZonalSilver

Commendable
Feb 13, 2019
Not sure what the exact issue is, pc ran perfectly fine before. Ran windows 10 legacy bios no problem, upgraded to windows 10 with uefi bios so I could upgrade to windows 11, didn’t like windows 11 and had many issues, automatically scrolling down on every page to list 1 problem. Downgraded through windows settings back to windows 10. Worked fine for the most part.

although now when the computer idles with screen off (not sleep mode) the fans max speed for 10-15 seconds every 5-10 minutes. When the pic is off or put into sleep mode it doesn’t do this, I at first had no control over fan speeds and they’d reach 90% or more idling in game lobbies. Downloaded Asus gpu tweak 3 and managed to regain partial control over the fans with the program, but not full control.

games also now will not load in on first match and put me back into lobby at least once before loading into a match.

lastly I also now have internet connection issues with dropping internet, running Ethernet, second pc running Ethernet has no issues while I’ll loose connection to internet, but stay connected to router.

Ive tried reinstalling video and Ethernet drivers with no luck, not sure if all of this ties together but it’s all my recent symptoms

Solution
Too many instances of "upgrade, downgrade, etc." OS is likely full of cruft now. My recommendation would be to simply back up anything important and do a clean install. FWIW, Windows 11 isn't ready for prime time yet according to most of us, besides which it really offers very little, if anything, that Windows 10 doesn't have other than a different aesthetic and a few tools that are relatively useless to the majority of people.

Too many instances of "upgrade, downgrade, etc." OS is likely full of cruft now. My recommendation would be to simply back up anything important and do a clean install. FWIW, Windows 11 isn't ready for prime time yet according to most of us, besides which it really offers very little, if anything, that Windows 10 doesn't have other than a different aesthetic and a few tools that are relatively useless to the majority of people.

Solution

ZonalSilver

Commendable
Feb 13, 2019

So this morning I completely wiped the hard drives and fully reinstalled windows 10 fresh. I thought this would be a fix as well, but was initially hoping for a simpler fix. I came home this evening and the pc is still doing the gpu fan speed maxing.

maxes speed still after reinstall about 10-15 seconds every 5 minutes or less now. I haven’t activated windows 10 yet, or tested any other symptom I experienced before, but as of right now, it oddly seems to not have fixed it.

next I will try activating windows, unplugging the graphics card to “reset the pins” and then reset bios settings/clearing cmos.

OMGiTxREALHASSAN

Reputable
Jun 28, 2019
Not sure what the exact issue is, pc ran perfectly fine before. Ran windows 10 legacy bios no problem, upgraded to windows 10 with uefi bios so I could upgrade to windows 11, didn’t like windows 11 and had many issues, automatically scrolling down on every page to list 1 problem. Downgraded through windows settings back to windows 10. Worked fine for the most part.

although now when the computer idles with screen off (not sleep mode) the fans max speed for 10-15 seconds every 5-10 minutes. When the pic is off or put into sleep mode it doesn’t do this, I at first had no control over fan speeds and they’d reach 90% or more idling in game lobbies. Downloaded Asus gpu tweak 3 and managed to regain partial control over the fans with the program, but not full control.

games also now will not load in on first match and put me back into lobby at least once before loading into a match.

lastly I also now have internet connection issues with dropping internet, running Ethernet, second pc running Ethernet has no issues while I’ll loose connection to internet, but stay connected to router.

Ive tried reinstalling video and Ethernet drivers with no luck, not sure if all of this ties together but it’s all my recent symptoms
Yeah! I'm facing a similar issue or there might be more but I haven't used my pc much after the downgrade last night, I only could notice one big issue that I got after upgrading to windows 11 and is still present after downgrading to windows 10 me, is my internet speed is capped at 500kbps while I've a 20mbps connection.

ZonalSilver

Commendable
Feb 13, 2019
Activated windows and reset bios to default inside bios settings and didn’t have a change.

I tried unplugging and plugging the graphics card back in, gently cleaned pins and cleared cmos by removing power and battery for 1 minute (just to be sure). After powering the pc back on and putting back into screen off but not full sleep mode, after 5 minutes it hasn’t turned on or maxed gpu fan speeds.

I’ll test further for other symptoms or in case it happens, and if so I will then try a different driver, then different graphics card, and then try using this card on a different pc to narrow down the issue. I’ll return with a response shortly

ZonalSilver

Commendable
Feb 13, 2019
Yeah! I'm facing a similar issue or there might be more but I haven't used my pc much after the downgrade last night, I only could notice one big issue that I got after upgrading to windows 11 and is still present after downgrading to windows 10 me, is my internet speed is capped at 500kbps while I've a 20mbps connection.
are you using Ethernet or wifi? My first guess would be restart the ox, then try disconnecting/forgetting the network and reconnecting. I would then look into trying to reinstall the drivers before doing like I did and reload the operating system, just my personal process if I were experiencing similar problems.

ZonalSilver

Commendable
Feb 13, 2019
What are your full system specs?
Asus Prime B450M-A
2x8gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2133mhz
AMD Ryzen 3 3200G
Asus strix Rx580 t8g
Samsung 860 evo 1tb ssd
Evga 750 g3
Corsair H60 cooler

As of right now reseating the gpu and clearing cmos seemed to be the final fix. After reinstalling my os nothing changed, setting bios to default and activating windows showed no change, but after having cleared the cmos and reseating gpu every issue seems to have disappeared, it’s been almost 24 hours and I haven’t had a symptom reappear.

I do thank you for your assistance

Reactions: helper800